Evening & Weekend MBA Program
Evening & Weekend MBA Program Writing Requirement
Countless studies have shown, and top executives agree, that effective writing is crucial to success in business. (It is also crucial to your academic success at Haas.) Whether your career goals are in investment, marketing, finance, or the non-profit sector, your persuasiveness, conciseness, clarity, and fluency as a writer will play an important role in determining your success. The Evening & Weekend MBA program has a writing requirement that you must pass to graduate from the program. During your first year, you will submit two individually written documents for me to review and comment on. You must submit both papers by May 11, 2013.
The parameters are very flexible. You may pick any two of the following options:
- A paper written for your Marketing, Business and Public Policy, Leadership Communication, or Ethics class.
- A paper written for any other MBA-level course at Haas that has both a persuasive element and is primarily prose.
- A professional business document that you have prepared in your current work setting. This document must contain a persuasive element (an analysis or description will not suffice).
NOTE: The following documents are NOT acceptable submissions:
- Group-written documents
- Executive summaries
- Papers written more than three years ago
- MBA application essays
- Papers primarily in bullet points or outline form
- Previously published papers
Submission Process and Format Requirements
I will review documents 3- 5 pages in length. If you have questions about structure, format, or whether a particular document fits the parameters of the assignment, please contact me.
All papers must be submitted electronically.
- Use 12 point type: Palatino, Times New Roman, or one of comparable size.
- Double-space the paper with one-inch margins all around.
- MSWord attachments with .doc or .docx file extensions only. Do NOT send .pdf files.
- Include your name in the name of your file (for example: erickalutzpaper1.docx).
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line of your email, please write: Writing Requirement Submission.
- In the body of your email, please tell me the context for this paper (Ethics class, work document, etc.) and let me know if you have any writing concerns.
Assessment Criteria and Process
I will assess your paper on the overall quality of the writing. I will look at your persuasiveness, large and small organization, clarity, and conciseness. I will consider paragraph structure, sentence structure, word use, grammar, and spelling. While you may submit papers written for an academic course, you may consider revising them from a business writing perspective before you submit them to me.
After review, I will return your papers with any comments directly to you. Your papers will be clearly marked PASS or CONSULT. Review time varies, depending on time of year and my workload.
You may submit your papers one at a time, or in a single email, but you must PASS both papers to complete the requirement.
If a paper is marked CONSULT, please contact me to set up an appointment. We’ll review your writing together, and I’ll assign you a due date for any revisions I request.
Some students may need additional help with their writing skills. For these students, I’ll provide tutorial assistance.
After you have PASSED both papers, I will notify the EWMBA Program office that you have completed the Writing Requirement.
I accept submissions until your final deadline of May 11, 2013. I strongly encourage you to submit as soon as possible so you can begin the rigorous process of meeting this requirement.