Planning an Event

Planning and hosting a successful event depends on careful planning.

That starts by contacting Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof in the MBA Program Office to discuss resources and other details.


Recruit a volunteer team capable of taking care of all aspects of event planning and staffing.


Haas facilities include classrooms, the Andersen Auditorium, the Wells Fargo Room, the Bank of America Forum and the Courtyard.

  • Check room availability and make reservations in the Event and Space Management System. Contact Kendall Dockham the Room Reservation Coordinator, 510-643-0475. Please note that classroom reservations can't be made during the add/drop period at the beginning of each semester or during the exam period at the end of the semester.
  • Helzel Boardroom and the Executive Classroom, managed by the Center for Executive Education. MBA Students should contact Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof in the MBA Program Office regarding its availability.

UC Berkeley facilities include spaces on campus suitable for receptions, conferences, lunches, and dinners. You may have to pay a rental fee or use the facility's catering service. For a list of campus venues click here. The most popular facilities near Haas include the Faculty Club and International House. Contact Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof for more information.

Off-campus facilities typically require you to sign a contract. Check with Julia Rosof for a list of local off-site venues and confer with Amy Hornstein to ensure that you are not taking unnecessary risks in signing contracts.

Furniture The Haas Facilities Department has fifteen 6-foot tables available for students groups. Additional tables, lecterns, chairs, tablecloths, etc. can be rented from University Moving Services at 510-643-8232 or Canopies and Tents at 510-610-0072.

If you are having an event in the Wells Fargo Room, please consult this checklist.

Media equipment

Haas Media Services has a wide array of media equipment available. Equipment can be reserved in the Event and Space Management System (EMS) or at the desk in person in S300. For questions regarding Media equipment, email resi@haas or call 510-643-0431.

If you would like to videotape your event, contact Media Services.


Only caterers who have a Caterer's Proof of Insurance form on file with the Haas School may be used. If you are using a new caterer you must request proof of insurance when you are making the arrangements.

Read the list of caterers on file and consult Julia Rosof for advice on caterers and menus. Also, the MBA Program Office has compiled a list of lunch options for club meetings.

If your on-campus event includes a barbecue or any other form of open flame, contact Julia Rosof two weeks before the event so she can arrange a Fire Permit. You must pick up and return BBQ supplies (spigot, hose and fire extinguisher) to the MBA Program Office after your event.


Reach out to Julia Rosof to discuss your parking needs. The MBA Program Office can provide small quantities of daily parking permits if needed for speakers or visitors. For larger events, they will work with the Parking and Transportation to help you obtain needed permits.


If you wish to serve alcohol on campus you must contact Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof two weeks before the event so they can request an Alcohol Permit obtained from the UC Police Department.

To obtain an alcohol permit you must:

  • Serve beer and wine only
  • Serve food and non-alcohol beverages
  • Check IDs to ensure that everyone drinking is over 21
  • Not allow drinking games

Event organizers and their volunteers must check IDs, stamp hands, or provide wrist bands.

Note: If you are having an event where alcohol is served and a fee is charged for attendance at the event you are required to hire a caterer and get an additional state alcohol permit. Please direct questions about the state alcohol permit to Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof.


You must have proof of insurance from bands and other entertainers. Please consult with Amy Hornstein or Julia Rosof, who will work with the Risk Management Office.

Alumni Participation

The Alumni Relations Office will facilitate alumni participation in student-led events. In return, you must submit a roster of all alumni who attended to the Alumni Relations Office within two weeks of your event. For more information please contact Meg Roundy.

Clean Up

You must leave your event space in the same condition in which you found it. This may include breaking down tables and basic clean up. Be sure to recruit volunteers in advance. For larger events such as Consumption Functions or conferences, the MBA Staff will arrange for extra custodial and ground services. Discuss this with Julia Rosof when you begin planning your event.

Planning a Green Event

Read the Green Event Toolkit to see how you could make your event more friendly to our environment.


The MBA Program Office maintains a list of approved vendors for items such as balloons, T-shirts, premium items, and banners.

Conference Planning

If you are planning a conference, the first step is to contact Amy Hornstein in the MBA Program Office. After contacting the MBA Program Office, please review the following

Conference Planning documents:

[back to top]