The Center for Gender, Equity, and Leadership will leverage the Berkeley-Haas Four Defining Principles to drive change in powerful ways.
The center will focus on:
- Convening female leaders from the political and business sectors and creating a dialogue around issues of women's empowerment and advancement.
- Targeting the specific challenges of mid-stage career women—the drop-off rate for women on route to upper leadership tracks increases significantly at mid-career stages.
- Engaging male and female allies and uniting people of all ethnicities, races and classes around a shared goal of gender equality.
- Developing Haas leaders who understand gender as a spectrum, not as a binary construct ascribed at birth and who recognize that this requires new kinds of leadership, policies, and organizations.
- Conducting field research to investigate various ways in which women across geographies, sectors, industry and levels exert power and influence, and how that differs from men.
- Converting research-based insights into effective business strategies to reduce inequities and develop diversity-intelligent strategies for leadership.
- Innovation: The center will enable safe discourse, debate, and experimentation in thought, values, and experience to cultivate innovative and disruptive solutions.
- Acceleration: The center will leverage existing research to provide a roadmap for change and bring together leading faculty in and beyond the UC Berkeley campus to forward the mission.
- Leadership Identity: The center will focus on women as well as societal notions of manhood. Scholarship and practice around masculinity and the challenges that men experience play a significant role.