Our History and Our Approach
Diversity is a defining characteristic of the state of California and a hallmark of the University of California, Berkeley.
And while differences present challenges, at Berkeley-Haas, they inspire us. We see diversity as a source of strength and innovation and as an opportunity for growth.
- Diversity Milestones in Our History
- Our Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity Strategy is integral to the Haas Strategic Plan, from enhancing the student experience and building the strongest faculty possible to redefining how we do business.
- We are executing on strategies to strengthen research, teaching and public service, to extend pathways for access and success, and to foster an engaging, healthy climate on campus.
- In the first year since rejoining the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, applications from under-represented minorities in the Full-time MBA Program increased 44%.
- The Haas Freshmen to Alumni Outreach Program serves to encourage and support a diverse pool of undergraduate business students throughout their years at Berkeley-Haas and into their careers. In 2012, its inaugural year, the program helped to increased the Berkeley-Haas applicant pool of underrepresented minority Berkeley students from 4% to 6%. The goal is to reach 15%+ URM pool every admission cycle to mirror the overall pool of underrepresented minority applicants admitted to UC Berkeley as freshmen.
- YEAH (Young Entrepreneurs at Haas) pairs Haas students with Oakland high school students for real life lessons and mentorship.
- UC Summer Institute for Emerging Managers and Leaders offers fellows to undergraduates at historically black colleges and universities.
Many of these initiatives are driven by Director of Diversity Initiatives Eric Abrams.