Job Title: Assistant Dean - Center for Executive Education
Job ID: 14728
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: October 25, 2012
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and continuously until the position is filled by the Egon Zehnder International recruiting firm.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders --- individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members supports these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
The Haas School of Business Center for Executive Education (CEE) develops open enrollment (30%) and custom programs (70%) for business executives in the US and internationally (65% of custom programs are for overseas clients). The program has been greatly successful, with almost 100% repeat clients for custom programs. Haas’ objective is to grow CEE from revenues of $17M to $50M+ within the next five years.
Following the move of its previous Assistant Dean into other leadership roles within the School, Haas wants to attract a talented successor to lead the Center. The Assistant Dean will report to the Dean of the Haas School, will present to the Haas Advisory Board and will sit on the Dean’s Senior Leadership Team. S/he will lead a team of seven Directors and Managers, including: Custom Programs, Open Enrollment Programs, Strategic Alliances, Client Services, Marketing, Operations and Accounting.
The priorities for the role include:
- Business development: Continuing the rapid growth through effective marketing of the program and developing relationships with corporations nation- and world-wide. Particular emphasis will be placed in emerging markets and extensive travel will be required in such countries (recent clients came from Poland, Kazakhstan, Philippines, and Turkey, for example)
- Team leadership: Provide direction and professional development to the Center’s 20-strong team, contributing to creating the organizational structure, forging a culture and cementing tighter links among its professionals
- Visionary program development: Capture and to some extent foresee evolving business needs and collaborate with faculty and the business community to bring about programs that meet them
The ideal candidates will be:
• Talented business developers: credible with sophisticated clients, they will have proven track record of business growth. They will understand customers and market trends, develop world class marketing & sales approaches, and have significant and senior experience in high-touch, high-price premium service business. They will be familiar with long sales cycles, and a consultative sales approach. They will be able to build constructive strategic and commercial partnerships in business and academic networks (with the wider Berkeley community, national and oversees businesses)
• Credible as collegial leaders of a senior team: able to shape an organization, motivate staff and peers in an academic environment, and manage a P&L and budget
• Able to pull together adapted and attractive academic programs for global customers: they will be able to gather ideas and expertise. They will have a track record of delivering to and/or interacting with multiple stakeholders, be a humble consensus-builder with excellent relationship skills. They will be attuned to international cultures.
• Passionate about lifelong learning: though prior academic experience is not required, a passion for continuing education will be critical for this person to be and impactful advocate and ambassador for CEE
The backgrounds of such talented executives will be very broad and can include:
- Academic institutions (Deans and Assistant Deans, Professors with entrepreneurial flair and a strong market focus)
- Professional service organizations (such as Strategy consulting firms or Executive search consulting)
- Best in class corporations (Senior leaders in talent management and executive leadership development)
Key personal characteristics include confidence and humility.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
To submit your application, please send your resume to Victoria Dimitrakopoulos at Egon Zehnder International on email@example.com
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open