Job Title: Director of Career Advising & Programs (4520U) #15996
Job ID: 15996
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: Closed 9-25-13
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The MBA Career Management Group is a fast-paced organization that serves all of Berkeley’s MBA programs as well as its MBA alumni. The Director of Career Advising and Programs for the full-time MBAs oversees MBA career advising and programs for full-time MBAs and manages a team of internal and external career advisors. The Director plans, develops, and implements programs, activities, counseling, and advising focused on Berkeley MBAs’ very diverse needs for career development. The Director sets the strategy of his or her team in response to evolving student needs, employer feedback, and trends in the marketplace. Success is measured by key metrics, primarily student employment and student satisfaction.
Ensures that professional and support Career Services Specialists are providing the full range of career services pertaining to the full-time MBA program. Develops and implements annual strategic and operations plan for career development curriculum for full-time MBAs.
• Sets high standard for quality advising and programs for entire career management team.
• Recognizing the diverse backgrounds and goals of the student population, directs resources to ensure that the students are receiving sufficient support for each of their searches, including the global and nontraditional career searches.
• Fills gaps in service to clients by recommending and implementing changes/enhancements to the program.
• Launches innovative career initiatives targeted at appropriate industry, function, and demographics, based on student needs, competitive environment
• Monitors pedagogical and technological advancements to ensure that students are receiving the career content most appropriate to their needs.
• Oversees definition, collection, and achievement of achieving metrics, including total advising hours offered, visits by students, and evaluations of individual advisors. Monitors both student employment and student satisfaction to ensure that each are maximized.
• Manages student onboarding efforts beginning from the time of admission, including summer conference preparation and orientation activities.
• Oversees budget for career services advising and programs for full-time students.
Supports individual students’ career search
• Manages team of professional advisors and adjunct advisors. Leads adjunct career advising program, recruits new adjuncts, ensures adjuncts are aware of CMG processes, services, and strategies and are abreast of current trends.
• Lead efforts to personalize the relationship with each student, ensuring that each student receives the support he or she needs.
• Provides professional one-on-one career advising to MBAs and maintains high profile as an effective career advisor to peers and students.
Provides assistance, guidance, and direction on complex and particularly sensitive issues and situations.
• Plans and leads regular information exchanges internally among advisors, to keep advising staff current on market trends and share information across programs.
• Actively participates in staff meetings, sharing insights from student meetings and trends in industry.
Works closely with others in Berkeley-Haas community. This requires a minimum of three to five weekend days of work per year.
• Acts in full partnership with the Director of Career Advising and Programs for the experienced-hire MBAs to determine effective use of time and resources for each population and each advising team.
• Acts in full partnership with the Director of Recruiting to understand the job marketplace trends and specific feedback about Berkeley MBAs.
• In order to market career programs and effectively communicate with students, partners with Assistant Director of Technology and Communications within the Career Management Group.
• Meets regularly with the Executive Director of the Full-time MBA Program in order to define the appropriate intersection between career and academic programs and to review cases of problematic students.
• Actively provides feedback to the Executive Director of Full-time MBA Admissions in order to improve admissions’ decision-making processes and to keep outreach efforts in alignment with current career programs.
• Meets with full-time MBAA VP of Careers to ensure alignment of programs with student need
• Facilitates networking opportunities among students and alumni/contacts in industry. Builds long term relationships with alumni in mid- and senior-level positions.
Manages the Full-time MBA Careers team within the expectations of the Haas Management & Leadership Development Framework.
• Maintains a deep understanding of the unit’s processes, services, and customers.
• Identifies, secures, and distributes the necessary personnel, physical, financial, and informational assets necessary for business execution.
• Enables staff to anticipate, identify, and meet customer needs.
• Connects day-to-day staff activities to unit’s goals.
• Provides employees timely feedback and guidance to improve performance.
• Support employees’ development and acknowledge their contributions.
• Empower others for decision-making and action.
• Bachelors degree required.
• Advanced degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Experience managing a team in a service-oriented environment.
• Ability to adjust managerial behaviors to situation and employees’ needs.
• Experience planning, organizing, securing, managing, leading, and controlling resources to achieve specific goals.
• Strong business background or experience advising MBAs on business careers
• Advanced knowledge of career development theories, MBA career paths, counseling processes, career decision making, learning styles, and job search techniques.
• Great communication skills: exceptional oral and written communication skills; ability to influence without authority; highly effective teaching, counseling, and presentation skills
• Experience planning and executing multi-year curricula while balancing cost and human resources. Knowledge of workshop and program design.
• Knowledge of career services, employer, alumni, and faculty needs and expectations, recruiting and staffing methods, employment trends.
• Flexibility and strong project management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and audiences simultaneously and to adjust priorities to accommodate changes in demand.
• Inclusivity and the ability to work with people from diverse cultures and groups.
Required technical skills:
• Experience with enterprise software or HR management systems
• Experience with social media.
• Experience with remote communications tools for individual and group activities.
• MBA or masters degree in career counseling preferred
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this full-time, exempt, career position will be commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This position travels locally or domestically approximately 2% of the time.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open