Job Title: Associate Director of Student Experience (4575U) #16205
Job ID: 16205
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: The first review date is July 11, 2013. Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The Associate Director of Student Experience is a key member of the Student Experience team providing services to working professional MBA students, namely the Evening & Weekend MBA Program and the MBA for Executives Program. The purpose of the Student Experience team is threefold: 1) streamline student access to traditional Haas and UC Berkeley resources, 2) create curricular and extracurricular activities that increase student engagement and satisfaction, and 3) assist generally with student needs. This person engages with students, and assists them by developing and executing on initiatives focused on providing students with a great experience while studying at Haas. This individual conducts informational sessions and provides guidance when necessary.
• While applying professional Student Services concepts, provides the full range of student services to working professional MBA students.
• Serves as a key contact for about 750 Evening & Weekend MBA students and 140 MBA for Executives students. Responds to inquiries from students, faculty, MBA program staff and other campus offices regarding program requirements and requests for assistance. Communicates regularly with students and faculty regarding program updates, events, scheduling and other matters of importance.
• Supports Director of Student Experience in executing strategic initiatives and ideas designed to enhance the student experience, both inside and outside of the classroom.
• Develops technological solutions designed to improve the student experience.
• Coordinates new extracurricular activities designed to enhance the student experience.
• Serves as advisor and mentor to student leadership officers. Actively engages with students and participates in student activities.
• Maintains comprehensive understanding of University and School policies.
• On occasion, manages staff, especially administrative support and student workers.
• Supports Director while working with other campus and school providers who deliver student experience related services.
• Advises faculty and students on new or changed policies or procedures and provide solutions for implementation.
• Makes recommendations and helps implement such recommendations for the improvement of Haas’ Evening & Weekend and MBA for Executives Programs.
• Plans and implements complex, high-visibility student events, such as orientation, social and professional events to encourage networking and advancement, as well as other types of programming to support curricular and strategic goals of the program, guest speakers and commencement.
RECRUITMENT AND ADMISSIONS
• Assists the Admissions team with outreach to applicants (primarily participating in Information sessions) and with the transition from admitted student to current student
• Assists the Academic Affairs team in providing assistance to students with their academic questions and general path for completing the program.
• Helps students navigate the various career counseling opportunities at Haas, working closely with Career Management Group.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Working knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
• Working knowledge of school and university policies, procedures and requirements.
• Skills in service orientation, active listening and critical thinking.
• Working knowledge of University-specific computer application programs.
• Working knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
• Skills in making judgments and decisions.
• Ability in problem identification, reasoning and ability to develop original ideals to solve problems.
• Ability to multi-task well.
• Ability to advocate for students who generally don’t have the time to navigate the Haas and/or UC Berkeley system.
• Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary and participate in occasional travel to act as a program representative.
• Ability to be ‘on call’ during the evening and weekend, when not on campus.
• Experience working with professional, executive level clientele.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this exempt, one-year contract position will range between $3,500 per month up to $5,000 per month, with partial benefits in accordance with university policy.
This is full-time one-year contract position. The position is classified as a Student Services Advisor 3.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open