Job Title: Chief Information Officer, Haas School of Business
Job ID: 16359
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: Resumes for this position will be reviewed continuously until the position is filled.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and over 2000 more students annually through the executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) for Haas School of Business, functions as the Operational head of Enterprise Computing and Service Management (ECSM) and Haas Media Services. This position will report to the Senior Assistant Dean & Chief Operating Officer of the Haas School of Business for the UC Berkeley campus.
ECSM's vision is to integrate technology in research, teaching, communications, and professional networks. ECSM serves and supports innovation, knowledge creation, and effective collaboration and provides the Haas community with the business-class tools, services, and technical knowledge needed to enrich the Haas experience.
Haas Media Services' vision is to provide superior customer service, support, technical knowledge, and educational and presentation technologies to equip members of the Haas community with a foundation for preparing and delivering effective presentation of instructional materials.
The CIO will provide strong leadership to the Haas School while recognizing that there is a collaborative culture and many decisions are reached by consensus or with consultation. It is important that the CIO be able to envision the future and effectively communicate this vision to the Haas community. The position will play a critical role in implementing the School's strategic plan by assuring that computing and media services and other areas of IT are at a top-five business school caliber in research, teaching, technical and administrative services and support.
The CIO will ensure that a mix of technology services is appropriate to help Haas fulfill its mission in the coming decades by proactively reviewing and modifying service offerings to meet the ever changing needs of a complex and dynamic IT environment.
The CIO will be an integral part of the senior leadership team and will work collaboratively to support the goals and objectives of the Haas School. The CIO is expected to be a visionary leader who will develop a common vision and clear direction to achieve the school's aspirations. The incumbent will supervise approximately 35-37 full-time staff and approximately 23 student staff. The staff includes senior level managers, senior and journey level technical staff, and entry level technical and administrative staff. The CIO will represent UC Berkeley in industry-wide national and local councils and conferences.
This position will have broad departmental and campus-wide scope. The incumbent will interact with Haas Deans, directors, faculty, staff, students and senior campus administrators. The primary constituency is the Haas School of Business but it will be important that the department goals are aligned with the larger goals of the campus.
• 10+ years of Senior IT management at Executive Director level or equivalent experience
• 5-10 years hands on technical experience
• Strong strategic thinker who is able to understand the organizational goals and can use IT to reach these goals
• Able to envision the future of IT and rally the organization around this vision
• Ability to adapt and shift priorities when organizational goals or environmental factors change
• Able to serve as an effective mentor and coach, providing feedback and challenging assignments in order to continually develop the talent of the IT organization
• Working knowledge of web related tools and website design and management
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience of IT portfolio management, systems applications and IT services lifecycle management, and broadcast/media services projects lifecycle management, voice and video communications, IT, information privacy and security laws, compliance, and best practices
• Excellence in providing high-touch, personalized customer support
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of Enterprise Systems and Services and their integration, using best-of-breed industry technologies
• Demonstrated ability to establish priorities, organize work assignments and positively motivate subordinates and peers
• Ability to negotiate with vendors and internal/external clients
• Experience working in a complex, decentralized, consensus-driven IT environment with a combination of structured and unstructured internal constituencies
• Demonstrated history of leadership and excellent management; ability to unify and transform the organizational culture of the School from a disparate array of silo'ed business and academic units into a collaborative, cohesive culture where information is freely shared and a sense of common ownership and partnership is well-understood; ability to energize and excite staff
• Maintain a thorough knowledge of the current developments in the rapidly changing field of information technology; a broad knowledge of campus issues, policies and procedures relating to information technology; a broad awareness of key issues in higher education; the ability to negotiate with vendors and internal/external clients; and have advanced system analysis, planning, budgeting, and staff and project management
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open