Job Title: Financial Services Analyst
Job ID: 16754
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas Core Programs
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: October 16, 2013.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The Financial Services Analyst 3 is part of the Finance and Business Services unit at the Haas School of Business.
With minimal supervision of the supervisor, the incumbent provides quality professional support in all areas of department service, but especially with respect to procurement cards, electronic business systems and research administration support. The incumbent will have responsibility for the review, analysis, and processing of financial transactions for the academic units, degree programs and administration of Haas, working closely with other Haas staff and with Campus Shared Services (CSS) to ensure accurate documentation, and appropriate reasoning and compliance with policy. Specific duties include conducting deposits, reviewing requests for exceptional approval, and acting as an effective facilitator between Haas CSS. The position is also responsible for assisting faculty navigate the requirements for research administration as well as finding ways to streamline Haas business processes and coordinate activities with the Haas Finance Unit.
Applies financial services concepts (i.e., accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, collections and billing), to resolve issues, and prepare business process procedures and policy recommendations.
Provides analyses for complex summaries and proposals relative to a diverse range of topics to include new financial procedures and/or services, changes in legal regulations, tax implications, etc.
Ensures that financial processing functions which may include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cashiering and Collections are performed by lower level staff with accuracy and that daily operations run smoothly. Train staff and create an effective teamwork environment.
Assesses, recommends, and implements changes as needed to ensure financial processes maintain compliance with federal and state requirements and internal financial/audit policies.
Applies a wide variety of internal and external policies and regulations to address a range of issues such as regulatory compliance, tax implications, recovery of cash, risk management, and the organized implementation of a diverse range of financial services for students and departments.
Reviews and approves financial data and transactions.
Recommends and implements quality customer service standards and procedures to affect various constituencies, including internal department, students and external vendors.
Functions as a resource to support staff on issues such as researching complex financial discrepancies, escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns. Provides cross-support where necessary, particularly with respect to internal Haas and CSS processes.
Reviews and expedites financial transactions initiated by others, such as bluCard, Travel Study Card, and Event Planner Card. Ensures that gift and Travel and Entertainment policies are applied and correct approvals are obtained.
Documents procedures for financial activities.
• Knowledge of financial processes, University policies and procedures, and ability to interpret and apply to individual situations.
• Strong understanding of internal Haas financial processes, systems, and procedures.
• Strong understanding of Campus Shared Services processes, systems, and procedures.
• Knowledge of financial data management and campus reporting systems, and fund accounting.
• Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office and common desktop/web applications. Excel experience required.
• Experience working with Purchasing Cards in a large organization.
• Strong interpersonal skills, analytical skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, attention to detail, ability to multi-task in a high volume environment, organizational skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, sound judgment and decision-making.
• Strong communications skills, enabling the incumbent to provide clear instruction for a variety of customers and stakeholders, with respect to complex financial information, processes, and transactions.
• Leadership skills to provide guidance, coaching and mentoring to professional and support staff.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
• Prefer knowledge of financial systems and tools, possibly including Campus Deposit System, Travel and Entertainment, Connexxus, BearBuy, Oracle PeopleSoft (BFS), and SAP.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this exempt fulltime career position will range between $51,000 annually up to $75,700 plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This position is classified as a Financial Services Analyst 3.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open