Job Title: Sr. Assistant Dean/Chief Operating Officer, Haas Business School #17103
Job ID: 17103
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas Core Programs
Application Review Date: Resumes will be reviewed continuously until the position is filled.
The Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley, whose management education degree programs are regularly ranked among the top ten in the world, is seeking a Senior Assistant Dean and Chief Operating Officer responsible for executive management of all school affairs. The COO leads development of strategic planning and operational implementation, and maintains a school-wide, high quality service organization so that Haas may realize its full potential as a top global center for business education and research. The COO is second in command to the Dean for the entire school, which is a dynamic, growing organization with an annual budget of more than $100 million and a population of 2,200 students, more than 200 faculty members (tenured and professional), and 300 staff members. The position oversees the school’s financial services, information technology, human resources, and facilities, including plans to construct a new building addition as well as renovate the current facility. The COO also plays a critically important role in ensuring that the Haas School develop and launch innovative, new academic opportunities – including digital programs – that develop leaders who redefine business, and that help the school remain competitive and financially robust.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
• Leads decisions on administrative or operational matters and ensures achievement of the school’s strategic plan, objectives
• Strategic Plan – in partnership with the Dean, refines and integrates the strategic plan throughout the organization by ensuring human, financial and physical resources are aligned with the plan.
• The COO is responsible for integrating the culture, brand, and reputation throughout the organization via communications, school-wide events, and relevant policies and procedures.
• Financial Resources – Budget and Project Financing – The COO provides strategic guidance for long-range planning and political support to the CFO in dealing with UCOP. The COO ensures budget allocations are aligned with the academic and strategic plans.
• Administration – Human Resources, Payroll, Business Services, Facilities, and Emergency Planning/Disaster Recovery. The COO is responsible for establishing and maintaining a high quality service organization among all staff.
• Academic Support – Academic Administration, Computing (including Research), Media Services. The COO ensures that academic policies are consistently applied across the school and assists with policy development as needed. The COO also ensures coordination occurs between academic activities (hires, leaves, recruiting, etc.) are regularly communicated to the Assistant Dean for Budget and Operations.
• Student Support – Full-Time MBA Admissions (depending on experience) and Career Services. The COO works with each functional area to ensure student experiences are consistent, within policy and respond to market pressures.
• Marketing and Communications – The COO ensures that the broad perspective of Haas is communicated in all internal and external communications. Also, because the Marketing and Communications (M&C) staff are highly involved in business school rankings, the COO works with M&C to ensure problem areas are addressed.
• Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training. MBA desired.
• Advanced skills in strategic thinking, strategy development, systems planning and change management.
• Excellent leadership abilities to oversee multiple functions or departments through subordinate managers.
• Advanced knowledge of administrative management theory and ability to translate into practice.
• Excellent ability to establish metrics for department and employee goals which measure effectiveness of contributions to efficient operations of department.
• Advanced project management skills, including the capability to manage capital projects.
• Excellent skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques. Skills in establishing and implementing customer service standards. Skills to present the complex and changing concerns of the School to both campus and external stakeholders and must have the ability to influence positive change across organizational entities.
• Advanced knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques; human resources and risk management planning; accounting and payroll.
• Strong knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs. Broad and advanced knowledge of higher education planning, financing, academic and general administration and related University policies and procedures.
• Demonstrated successful political acumen within a complex organization
• Demonstrated ability to deal successfully with sensitive ethical issues and provide a moral compass for the school in deeds, actions, policies and practices.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
There is approximately 5% time spent traveling domestically and 1% time spent traveling internationally.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
AA Goals: Asian/Pacific Islander, Female, Hispanic, Minority
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
For more information, please contact Bruce Mattos at (510) 642-1915 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open