Job Title: Associate Director, Evening & Weekend MBA Program (4575U) #17989
Job ID: 17989
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department Haas Core Programs
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: June 10, 2014
The Evening & Weekend MBA (“EWMBA”) Program Office is responsible for providing student services and academic support for students in the EWMBA program at the Haas School of Business. The EWMBA program is three years in length and is designed to provide working professionals with access to the Berkeley MBA in an evening and weekend format.
The Associate Director of the EWMBA Program is responsible for a broad range of activities that support students, staff and faculty at the Haas School of Business. This position is service and student oriented, with the primary goal to ensure that the EWMBA students receive excellent curricular support and superior student service. The Associate Director will serve as one of the primary academic services resources (counseling, academic advising, registration, support, etc.) for EWMBA students and faculty. The position involves counseling students on academic program policies and issues. This person will monitor student academic progress and assist students in making appropriate educational choices and decisions. This individual assists faculty as required to deliver coursework and conducts informational sessions and provides advice to students. The Associate Director will work closely with the rest of the program staff and faculty in student services, communications, event planning and other duties as needed.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
Manage Academic Planning and Support within the EWMBA Program, including:
• Management of student enrollment through the Online Registrar system, including bidding and waitlist process.
• Participates in planning academic curriculum in collaboration with Director of the EWMBA Program to ensure students’ progress through course sequences, avoid conflicts, and ensure compliance with campus-wide policies.
• Assists the Director of the EWMBA Program on determining course scheduling needs for student progression to graduation. Monitors class and student interest as well as enrollments to most efficiently use resources.
• Supports faculty in all aspects of curriculum delivery. Work with faculty to order/coordinate delivery of books and course packets/readers for classes. Respond to inquiries from faculty and GSIs regarding course information, updates, scheduling, evaluations and other matters of importance
• Assists in selection of faculty for courses.
• Serves as advisor and mentor to student academic committees.
• Serves as point person for all relations with Office of Registrar, Billing & Payment Services, Summer Sessions, and Graduate Division.
• Manage the process of acquiring course titles and information and working with vendors to order course materials and textbooks.
Provide Student Services within the EWMBA Program, including:
• Communicate regularly with students regarding program updates, events, scheduling and other matters of importance.
• Respond to inquiries from students, internal Haas clients and other campus offices regarding billing, registration, program requirements, and other requests for assistance.
• Regularly meets with students to provide advice and assistance on all aspects of their academic experience, including progression and requirement matters for the department.
• Evaluates and advises students regarding petitions for exceptions to program, school and/or Graduate Division requirements.
• Identifies students with GPA or progress problems; advises students, and recommends appropriate courses of action by program (e.g., academic probation, dismissal).
• Determines barriers, distractions, and complications affecting a student’s academic success and helps students recognize these key non-academic issues. Makes appropriate referrals for additional counseling and/or assistance from other units.
• Supports the Director of EWMBA Program in executing strategic initiatives and ideas designed to enhance the student experience, both inside and outside of the classroom.
• Serves as advisor and mentor to student leadership officers. Actively engages with students and participates in student activities.
• Maintains comprehensive understanding of University and School policies.
Assist with Event Planning and Operations within the EWMBA Program, including:
• Prepare statistical reports and complete surveys, as needed.
• Work with other program staff in the planning, coordination and implementation of key EWMBA events, including Student Orientation, Mid-Program Academic Retreat (MPAR), Commencement and other currently offered events.
• Work with other program staff to develop new activities and events that enhance the EWMBA student experience.
• On occasion, manages staff, especially administrative support and student workers.
• Supports the Director of the EWMBA Program while working with other campus and school providers.
Assist with Recruitment and Admissions within the EWMBA Program, including:
• Assists the Admissions team with outreach to applicants and with the transition from admitted student to current student.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Thorough knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
• Thorough knowledge of school and university policies, procedures and requirements.
• Skills in service orientation, active listening and critical thinking.
• Working knowledge of University-specific computer application programs.
• Working knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
• Skills in making judgments and decisions.
• Ability in problem identification, reasoning and ability to develop original ideals to solve problems.
• Ability to multi-task well.
• Ability to advocate for students who generally don’t have the time to navigate the Haas and/or UC Berkeley system.
• Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with other departments, programs, universities, community organizations and other institutions.
• Knowledge and experience working with diverse populations; multicultural competencies.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work evening and weekends both on-campus and at off-site locations, with occasional travel.
• The successful candidate must have a high comfort level with technology, demonstrating proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Access and comfort working with CRM systems.
• Previous work experience in student services.
• Familiarity with MBA programs.
• Experience with university level graduate student services.
• MBA or related graduate degree.
• Experience working with professional, executive level clientele.
• Experience working with faculty.
• Experience with UC policies.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this full-time exempt position will be commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This position spends about 10% of time traveling locally or domestically.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see:
As of January 1, 2014 the University of California, Berkeley is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information about our Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at:
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open