An interview is an opportunity for you to get to know the company, and for them to get to know you – finding a fit goes both ways.
Being able to communicate your story and why you are interested in a particular role/company/industry is vital to a successful interview. This requires preparation for behavioral questions and cases depending on the industry. Clear delivery and ability to manage your nerves prior to and during the interview are also important considerations.
Reflecting on your previous experiences is the best place to start preparing for your interviews. These worksheets will help you develop content that will inform stories for your interviews.
- Identifying Moments of Learning Worksheet
- Insights to Your Experiences Worksheet
- Reflecting on Your Skills and Experience
Delivering your Stories
Check out the Storytelling material in Career Labs.
To feel more confident telling your stories during an interview it is important to invest time in preparing your body for a strong delivery. Here are some suggestions:
- Breathing Exercises
- Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds
- Breathe in for 1 count, out for 1 count; in for 2 counts, out for 2 counts; in for 3 counts, out for 3 counts; . . .
- Deep breath in, say a big Ahhhhhhh as you exhale, x3
- Count your breaths
- Power Posing with Amy Cuddy
- Tips for Practicing Delivery