Executive Director – Job Description
The Center for Social Sector Leadership (CSSL) is a major center in a top-ranked business school in a world-renowned public university. UC Berkeley ranks first among U.S. public universities and 12th in the world, (Center for World University Rankings). Berkeley-Haas School of Business is a top ranked business school (ranked 7th in the world, the Economist). CSSL is regularly ranked 2nd in nonprofit specialties among US business schools (US News & World Report).
The Executive Director is the key leadership position for the Center.
- The Center for Social Sector Leadership seeks a candidate with a distinguished record in a social impact-related industry, a proven record in leading and growing a significant organization or program, passion for purpose driven innovation and entrepreneurship, and a drive for creating leaders across sectors (business, government, nonprofit and social enterprise) through experiential learning. The Executive Director may stand on the platform of UC Berkeley/Haas to build their own leadership profile in the sector through teaching, innovative partnering and thought leadership.
- Lead all programmatic and operational aspects of the Center, including signature programs such as Berkeley Board Fellows, Social Sector Solutions, Philanthropy Fellows, and Impact Speaker Series, and a small staff.
- Design and drive a business model for long-term financial sustainability, with a reserve fund and endowment. Manage a balanced budget with a robust contributed and earned revenue model commensurate with program requirements.
- Work with students (and faculty) to design and implement programs to further the development of future social sector leaders
- Lead an Advisory Board of alumni and business leaders that support the Center, and a student Advisory Board that informs the Center’s programming and activities.
- Represent the Center within Haas, throughout the Berkeley campus and in the broader community.
- Develop substantial partnerships with business, philanthropy, social sector organizations, government and academic institutions to serve the field of social sector leadership, develop career opportunities for students and alumni, create new knowledge and practices in social impact, and advance the work of the Center.
- Report to and work in partnership with CSSL’s Faculty Director on the Center’s business model, programs and activities, and partnerships. Inform the Center’s research agenda, course offerings and professional teaching faculty.
- Passion for developing the next generation of purpose-driven social sector leaders
- Strategic thinker with an action orientation
- An entrepreneurial mindset to drive innovation to advance CSSL’s strong programs
- Proven business development record
- People management skills, including working with graduate and undergraduate students
- Outstanding communicator and public advocate for the Center’s vision and work
- Humble leader who is oriented toward teamwork and collaboration, diversity and inclusion
To be considered for the position, all applicants must submit a formal application through the UC Berkeley jobs site: To review job and apply. First review November 20th. For full consideration by December 11th.