The Equitable Product Design Fellowship is a 4.5-month program in which 5-6 Fellows will be selected to explore the business value of Equitable Product design and inclusive user testing in product development. The Fellowship program is led by EGAL in partnership and with Google.
We will provide a stipend ($10,000) and you’ll join a small student team (2-3 Fellows per team) to implement a design approach. You will then identify the opportunities and benefits of equitable product design and inclusive user testing compared to traditional design. You will work with Google while also receiving inclusive design training and additional support from Haas faculty mentors. The results of testing and research will be drafted into a report and inform a Case Study for publication by EGAL.
The deadline to apply is June 9 for program commencing August 15, 2023.
- 4.5 months (Aug 15 – Dec 31), estimated 10-15 hours per week (remote)
- Traditional design and inclusive & equitable design training
- Implementation of a design process (for meditation app or food order delivery app)
- Regular check-ins and feedback from Google
- Regular check-ins and support from a Haas faculty mentor
Frequently Asked Questions
UC Berkeley graduate students (in any department) who are interested in advancing equity and inclusion in product development and design across industries are encouraged to apply. We will also be looking for candidates who have the ability, time and commitment level to work in teams and have a high degree of self-initiative to meet project goals and timelines.
|Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and Black, indigenous, people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We recognize the value of diversity and the importance of diverse teams for innovation. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway!|
You will work on a small team (2-3 Fellows per team) to implement a design approach. You will then identify the opportunities and benefits of equitable product design and inclusive user testing compared to traditional design. You will work with Google while also receiving inclusive design training and additional support from Haas faculty mentors. The results of testing and research will be drafted into a report and inform a Case Study for publication by EGAL.
More specifically, each team will…
- Implement a design and testing process for a product (the teams will decide between a meditation app or food order delivery app).
- Analyze the difference in the product and business implications from traditional design compared to inclusive design processes. This would include an analysis of business benefits. Fellows will also provide feedback on processes and approaches for equitable product design.
- Collaborate with and receive feedback from Google and Haas faculty mentors.
The Fellowship will kick off on or near August 15, 2023.
Who You Are
- You align with and believe in EGAL’s core values and mission to reimagine business for equitable and inclusive society.
- You are interested in advancing equitable and inclusive practices. You recognize that inequity can be the default design and are dedicated to centering equity and inclusion.
- You are excited to learn about the process of designing and testing inclusive and equitable products to create better user experiences for all.
- You believe feedback is critical to personal and collective growth and improvement. You incorporate strategies and methods for garnering feedback from others. You actively seek feedback. You value the needs and experiences of colleagues.
With any questions, please reach out to [email protected].