Career Overview: The tech marketing and product management industry is fast paced. Products are more complex. As a result, tech companies tend to break the umbrella “marketing” function into two groups: “product management” and “marketing/marketing communications”.
Product management focuses on getting all the product features and functionality right. They do consumer research and direct the engineers/developers to design the product to meet the consumer’s needs. They do a lot of product testing, project planning, etc.
Marketing in a tech company is separate from product development and is more about developing the communications / advertising / promotion and product roll out plans for a new product. Marketing does not have P&L responsibility like it does in a traditional consumer products firm. They are often responsible for providing guidance to the corporate sales force regarding their products (pricing, product options, etc.) who interface directly with the customer.
Competencies: Similar to brand management, but they will want to see a strong interest/past experience in technology/internet, passion for technology, and other more tech-focused skills.
Highly Recommended Prime Electives:
Highly Recommended Targeted Electives:
- EWMBA 267 Customer/Consumer Insights
- EWMBA 290T Hands-on Rapid Prototyping
- EWMBA 290T Innovation Navigation & Management
- EWMBA 290T Managing the New Product Development Process
Recommended Prime Electives:
- EWMBA 211 Game Theory
- EWMBA 252 Negotiations
- EWMBA 254 Power & Politics
- EWMBA 261 Marketing Research
- EWMBA 263 Marketing Analytics
- EWMBA 269 Pricing
- EWMBA 295A Entrepreneurship
Recommended Targeted Electives:
- EWMBA 262 Strategic Brand Management
- EWMBA 290T Strategy for the Information Technology Firm
- EWMBA 291C Active Communicating
- EWMBA 291D Presentation Design for Analytical Communication
- EWMBA 291I Improvisational Leadership
- EWMBA 291T Advanced Leadership Communication
- EWMBA 291T Interpersonal Skills and Embodied Leadership
- EWMBA 292N Social Impact Metrics
- EWMBA 292T Creating Shared Value
- EWMBA 292T Impact Startup Disco
- EWMBA 292T Social Lean Launchpad
- EWMBA 295C Opportunity Recognition
- EWMBA 295M Business Model Innovation and Entrepreneurial Strategy
- EWMBA 295T Growth Hacking
- EWMBA 295T Building a Consumer Internet Business
- EWMBA 295T Leading Cultural Transformation
- EWMBA 295T Lean Launchpad
- EWMBA 295T Startup Disco
- EWMBA 296 Building Trust Based Relationships
- EWMBA 296 Corporate Level Strategy
- EWMBA 296T Built for Growth
Please note that these courses are not necessarily offered every semester or every year.