After completing all required courses in the core curriculum, a student may arrange to enroll in an Independent Study course for one, two or three units.
The EWMBA 293 course is a student’s opportunity to do research in an area of interest, for which there are no similar courses offered at Haas. The student must find a Haas faculty member willing to serve as the EWMBA 293 supervisor, and together, devise a format including learning objectives as well as a final deliverable of a project, a paper, or a set of directed readings and an exam.
- The sponsoring faculty must be actively teaching at Haas during the semester in which the student will be enrolled in the Independent Study, or a ladder faculty member
- The student may take more than one variable-unit independent study course, although no more than three units of EWMBA 293 can be counted toward the MBA degree
- EWMBA 293 must be taken for a letter grade, and will not be graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) basis
- A student cannot enroll in an EWMBA 293 or other for-credit independent study as an “add-on” to an existing course or co-curricular activity
- A student cannot enroll in EWMBA 293 as part of a team
- A student cannot enroll in an EWMBA 293 supervised by any professor with whom a regular course is being taken concurrently
- Independent Study credit cannot be received for professional work, whether paid or unpaid
- The unit value should correspond to the work required for a regular course of identical unit value. The rule of thumb for a regular 15-week course is two to three hours of prep work for every hour of classroom contact.
- 1-unit should represent about 45-60 hours of work (15 classroom hours plus 30-45 hours of prep)
- 2-units should represent about 90-120 hours of work (30 classroom hours plus 60-90 hours of prep)
- 3-units should represent about 135-180 hours of work (45 classroom hours plus 90-135 hours of prep)
- Independent Study requests must be submitted to the Program Office (and approved) before the end of the final add round for the semester in which the independent study course will be taken. Please refer to the Registration Timeline for specific dates.
- Independent Study requests will be processed after the add/drop period ends (approval of the request from the Program Office is your initial confirmation of enrollment)
Please complete the Independent Study Form here.
(The File Upload feature does not work when the form is embedded into a website. Thank you for your patience.)