Operations & IT Management | Business & Social Impact | Sustainability
Expertise and Research Interests
- Towards a Green Supply Chain. Life Cycle Implications of value chains. Includes a framework and methodology to help firms in reducing costs and adopt sustainable practices.
- Economic, Environmental and Social Implications of Biofuels. Analysis of bioenergy value chains, environmental impacts and policy implications.
- Business Intelligence and Technology Roadmaps in the Energy Sector This project dealt with the development of a technology maps based on market, patent and journal inputs along with expert group interviews. Enhanced Oil Recovery and Conversion Energy Technologies lie within current scope of the project.
- “A Multi-objective Mathematical Programming Framework for a Sustainability Analysis of Wastewater Treatment Processes,” (with A. Ponsich, S. Romero-Hernández, M. De Lascurain, and J. Aquino), International Journal of Environmental Policy and Decision Making, 2010, 1(1): 17-39.
- “Environmental Implications and Market Analysis of Soft Drink Packaging Systems in Mexico: A Waste Management Approach,” (with Sergio Romero, David Muñoz, Emiliano Detta, Arturo Palacios, and Adriana Laguna), International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 2009, 14(2):107-113.
- “Bioenergy, Sustainability and Tradeoffs: Analysis of the Legal and Institutional Frameworks at National and Subnational Levels in Mexico,” (with Omar Masera, Sergio Romero, and Miriam Grunstein), working paper, 2010.
- “Environmental Cooperation System for the Steel Industry in Mexico – A Case Study” (with Tony Kingsbury, Sergio Romero, Mariana Icaza, and Emiliano Diaz), working paper, 2010.
- Book: “Renewable Energy in Mexico” (with Wood, D. and Romero, S.), USA Aid Research, 2011.
At Haas since 2009
2009 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
- Franz Edelman Award 2010. First place Laureate in the World’s most prestigious award on Operations Research and Management Science applications. Project : INDEVAL.
- Fulbright Visiting Professor. US Department of State. 2009.
- Mexico Business Summit. Task Force National Leader: Economic Growth and Low Carbon Emissions. Appointed by former Mexico’s President, 2009.
- National Researcher. National Research Council, CONACyT, 2007.
- Royal Society (United Kingdom). Distinguished Visiting Professor, England, 2004.
- First Place – research award (supervisor): Institute of Industrial Engineers México (Merida, 2008) – Technical essay. Project: Corn Ethanol in Mexico
- Second International Research Prize: LCA International Conference, Costa Rica (Research project on Green Supply Management)
- Second International Research Prize: International Engineering Conference in Panama, CLEIN 2004.
- Teaching Award. Business Master Program – Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico (ITAM)
- Project Management (School of Business)
- Business and the Environment: Strategies and Tools (School of Business)
- Lean Operations (School of Engineering)