Faculty Director of the Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology Program | Grimes M.E.T. Chancellor's Chair| Teaching Professor
Management of Organizations | Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Expert on corporate growth and innovation, mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships, outsourcing, and technological disruption.
Saikat Chaudhuri is the inaugural Faculty Director of the Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology (M.E.T.) Program, a flagship dual-degree program in engineering and business at the University of California at Berkeley. He holds the Grimes M.E.T. Chancellor’s Chair at the university, with a joint faculty appointment in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation as well as Management of Organizations groups at the Haas School of Business, along with the department of Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering.
Chaudhuri’s research specializes in corporate growth and innovation strategies, particularly high-tech mergers and acquisitions, high-value outsourcing and partnerships, and technological innovation in dynamic environments. His publications span both scholarly and managerial outlets, and his work has been recognized from the field’s leading professional associations including the Academy of Management and Strategic Management Society.
Chaudhuri has designed and taught popular undergraduate and MBA courses on corporate strategy, management of technology, and innovation. He has also led and delivered customized executive education programs to a myriad of top firms around the world. He has been the recipient of numerous teaching awards and accolades at all levels across his academic career.
Chaudhuri’s work has been cited by leading media outlets, and he is often interviewed or quoted by the global press on contemporary business affairs. He is regularly invited to speak at corporate forums, industry events, and academic conferences across the United States, Europe, and Asia. Based on his research and experience, he advises leading global corporations and governments worldwide, including providing expert legal testimony.
Chaudhuri came to Berkeley in 2021 from the University of Pennsylvania, where he served on the faculty of The Wharton School for more than 16 years, holding leadership positions including Executive Director of the Mack Institute for Innovation Management, and Interim Director of the Jerome Fisher Program in Management & Technology. His prior professional experience includes corporate development at Mannesmann AG, in addition to stints with Citibank, McKinsey and Company, and Roland Berger Strategy Consultants.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Digital Disruption and Transformation
- High-Value Strategic Partnerships and Outsourcing
- High-Tech Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Growth and Innovation Strategies
- Technological Innovation in Dynamic Environments
- Saikat Chaudhuri, Michael J. Leiblein and Jeffrey J. Reuer. Prioritizing Research in Strategic Management: Insights from Practitioners and Academics. Strategic Management Review.
- Saikat Chaudhuri. Deploying Artificial Intelligence: Unlocking the Strategic Potential, Avoiding Pitfalls, and Getting the Organization Ready. Mack Institute for Innovation Management White Paper.
- Saikat Chaudhuri. How to Future-Proof Your Company. Think:Act Magazine.
- Rosa Caiazza, Saikat Chaudhuri. Explaining emerging-market firms’ acquisitions of developed-market firms: A resource based perspective. Trends in Food Science & Technology.
- Pragna Kolli, Jitin Jain, Abhinav Prateek, Nate Rush and Saikat Chaudhuri. Making Sense of Blockchain: How Firms Can Chart a Strategic Path Forward. Mack Institute for Innovation Management White Paper.
- Pragna Kolli and Saikat Chaudhuri. Navigating Digital Disruption: How to Thrive Through Innovation Management. Mack Institute for Innovation Management White Paper.
- Rebecca Hayward, Michelle Eckert, Justin Thomas, Mickey Whitzer, Saikat Chaudhuri, Tom Fitzsimons, David Hsu, Mark Yim, Vijay Kumar. The Y-Prize Competition: An Inverted X-Prize Competition for Commercializing University Research. ASME 2014 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference.
- Saikat Chaudhuri and Joydeep Chatterjee. Impact of Offshore Outsourcing Scale, Scope, and Vendor Relationships on Firm Market Value Creation. Academy of Management.
- Phanish Puranam, Harbir Singh and Saikat Chaudhuri. Integrating Acquired Capabilities: When Structural Integration Is (Un)necessary. Organization Science.
- Saikat Chaudhuri. Mergers and Acquisitions. Stanford University Press.
- Saikat Chaudhuri and Behnam Tabrizi. Capturing the Real Value in High-Tech Acquisitions. Harvard Business Review.
At Berkeley Haas since 2021
- 2021 – present, Faculty Director, Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology Program
- 2021 – present, Grimes M.E.T. Chancellor’s Chair
- 2021 – present, Teaching Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation and Management of Organizations, Haas School of Business
- 2021 – present, Teaching Professor of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
- 2004 – 2020, Faculty, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- 2013 – 2020, Executive Director, Mack Institute for Innovation Management, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- 2015 – 2016, Interim Director, Jerome Fisher Program in Management & Technology, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
- 2006-2012, Visiting Faculty, Indian School of Business
- 2004, Consulting, Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
- 1998 – 1999, Corporate Development, Mannesmann AG
- 1997, Market Research, Mannesmann AG
- 1996, Consulting, McKinsey & Company
- 1995, Service Quality, Citibank Privatkunden AG
- Chair, Business Practice Advisory Board, Strategic Management Review, 2021 – Present
- Member, Strategic Management (Formerly Business Policy and Strategy) Division Teaching Committee, Academy of Management, 2014 – 2017
- Various Corporate and Non-Profit Advisory Councils, 2000 – Present
Finalist, H. K. M. Anvil Award for Outstanding Teaching, Graduate Division, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2009
William G. Whitney Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Excellence in Teaching Award, MBA for Executives San Francisco Program, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Best Reviewer Award, Technology & Innovation Management Division, Academy of Management
Recognized as one of “Wharton’s 40 Under 40” Top Alumni Worldwide
Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings
Finalist, Douglas Nigh Award, International Management Division, Academy of Management
Finalist, Fundação Dom Cabral Best Paper in Strategy/IB Theory, International Management Division, Academy of Management
Finalist, SKOLKOVO Best Paper Award, International Management Division, Academy of Management
Nomination, Strategic Management Society Best Conference Paper Prize
Nomination, Strategic Management Society Best Conference Paper Prize for Practice Implications
Excellence in Teaching Award, Graduate Division, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Excellence in Teaching Award, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
2011, 2009, 2007
Recognized as Thought Leader by Cisco Systems
2011 – 2007
David W. Hauck Award for Outstanding Teaching, Undergraduate Division, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Nomination, Strategic Management Society Best Conference Paper Prize (Two Papers)
Finalist, Blackwell Outstanding Dissertation Award, Business Policy & Strategy Division, Academy of Management
- The Rise Of The E Pluribus Unum CIO: Many Titles, One Top Tech Leader, Forbes, 04/26/2022
- A history-making hostile tech takeover, Protocol, 04/17/2022
- JetBlue Shakes Up Airline Status Quo With Audacious Spirit Bid, Airline Weekly, 04/06/2022
- Port backups, labor shortage due to sickness keeps items off of shelves, FOX2 KTVU, 01/14/2022
- Want To Be A Billionaire? These Are The Most Popular Majors Of The Richest Americans, Forbes, 10/10/2021
- Chief Digital Officer Program, Berkeley Executive Education, (Co-Faculty Director)
- Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology Capstone Course, Undergraduate Program (M.E.T. Course)
- Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology Introductory Topics, Undergraduate Program (M.E.T. Course)