Loans are sometimes a second option after pursuing scholarship opportunities. This section provide details on federal loan options, private loan options, and other types of educational loan borrowing including options for international students who find themselves with limited options while studying in another country.

The only loan programs from U.S. financial institutions available to international students almost exclusively require a credit-worthy U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident co-signer. Berkeley Haas has provided borrowing options for international students each year despite changes in the marketplace.

A Note on Disbursements

You must be enrolled in at least 6 units in order to receive and maintain a loan disbursement for that semester.

Loans are always disbursed in two payments, 50% each semester, after you are enrolled for classes at least half-time (6 units). Loan proceeds will credit to your CalCentral account and pay any outstanding charges. If a balance remains, a refund will be sent to your bank account if you have signed up for EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer).

The Haas Financial Aid Office does not receive, and will not accept, inducements from lenders or the government in exchange for inclusion on a private loan comparison chart or in exchange for promoting their loans on our website; nor does the Haas School share in the profits from lenders on our preferred lender list.