The Haas Financial Aid Office does not determine Residency for tuition purposes, but below is some information to help you start the process. Please contact the Office of the Registrar’s Residence Affairs Unit for further assistance. They can be reached by phone at 510.642.7209 or via email at

Latest Tip Sheet About Residency

How to Become a California Resident for Tuition Purposes

Residency FAQ

Entering Students

Students may apply for Residency for tuition purposes by completing the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) in CalCentral. This is done as part of your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) after admission to the program.

Some students may also qualify for a tuition waiver. Generally this applies to students who are coming from out of state but graduated from a California high school. Tuition waivers are also granted to many U.S. military veterans. If granted a waiver, you will be billed as a California Resident.

Continuing Students

Students who are Nonresidents for tuition purposes the first year, may apply for Residency for tuition purposes for the second year. Documentation of your intent to remain in California must be provided to the Office of the Registrar (OR) after updated your SLR in spring of your first year.

Generally speaking, students who qualify for Residency or for a tuition waiver the first year will automatically continue in that status the second year.

International Students

Generally speaking, international students are not able to qualify for Residency for tuition purposes nor are they able to obtain a tuition waiver.

Notice to Students Who Are Not US Citizens or Permanent Residents