The Berkeley campus is perched on a hillside; its upper reaches are devoted to a vast nature preserve-excellent for a run or a contemplative walk with postcard views of San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Pacific Ocean beyond. Surrounding the campus is the city of Berkeley, the quintessential university town, and a legendary one. With its multitude of coffee houses, shops, churches, theaters, world-famous gourmet restaurants, charming neighborhoods, beautiful gardens, and some of the best bookstores anywhere, Berkeley is cosmopolitan, funky, friendly, relaxed, and always stimulating.
- Theatre, film, dance and music at UC Berkeley
- Sports & recreation at UC Berkeley
- Area parks, trails, and natural areas
- Ideas for a Berkeley MBA student with some free time
The city of San Francisco needs no introduction, since nearly everyone on the planet has either experienced its charms or seen it in countless films and television shows. Entertainment, culture, nightlife, shopping, sightseeing, architectural gems-San Francisco is the epitome of the world-class, open-minded city blessed with the best of everything. Just a few choices:
- SF Symphony
- SF Giants
- SF 49ers
- SF Opera
- Best of Broadway and creative local theater
- World-famous restaurants
- California Academy of Sciences-and dozens of other museums
- Fisherman’s Wharf
In a day trip from Berkeley, you can visit:
- The alluring wine country of Napa and Sonoma counties.
- The moody, breathtaking Pacific Ocean and the many open beaches or picturesque seaside towns dotting the coastline, including Big Sur, Carmel-by-the-Sea, Mendocino, and countless others.
- The natural beauty of Yosemite National Park, with its exquisite glacier-carved valley of towering waterfalls and granite mountains.
- One of the country’s premier skiing destinations-Lake Tahoe.