UGBA 198 proposals must be submitted to the Haas Undergraduate Program Office by April 15h for the Fall 2022 semester. The following must be submitted by the deadline:
- UGBA 198 Directed Group Study Form (PDF format)
- The following are posted on the Academic Senate page:
- Course proposal form– The form, unit value worksheet, instructions, and three checklists are combined into a course proposal packet that must be completed entirely, including all relevant signatures.
- Fully developed syllabus – A fully developed syllabus will include at least the following: an outline of course content, a reading list, statement of frequency of class meetings, clear description of assignments and requirements for passing the class, key learning outcomes, method(s) of instruction, and method(s) of evaluation of student performance.
- Unit value worksheet – The worksheet to calculate workload and resultant unit value is available for download. This worksheet is required to be submitted to the Academic Senate.
- Unit value worksheet PDF (open and fill out in Acrobat Reader, then print)
- Unit value worksheet Word version (can be printed and filled out by hand)
- When completing the unit value worksheet ensure that the minimum total work hours are equivalent to the unit value of the course (e.g.: there are at least 45 hours for a 1 unit course). Also, ensure that any requirements outlined in the worksheet are explained fully in the course syllabus.
- Faculty Sponsor Letter of Support – A letter of support from the instructor of record must be provided for each course the instructor is sponsoring. The letter should address the five questions explaining the role and relationship the instructor has with the course. The letter should be written on department letterhead and signed by the instructor of record.
- Completion of a UCFTR Training Workshop for each student facilitator.
The proposal should then be submitted to the Haas Undergraduate Program Office in Haas S450 for review. If approved, the Undergraduate Program Office will request a classroom, course numbers, and the Permission Numbers to be assigned by the student facilitator to students approved to enroll in the 198 course. The facilitator will also be granted access to limited Haas Computer Center services.
The Haas Undergraduate Program Office will submit the original of the Course Proposal Form to the Academic Senate. The student facilitator will be sent a copy of the approved Course Proposal Form.
Important Note: Student facilitators are NOT instructors and do not replace the faculty members who are sponsoring their courses. Any questions regarding course content, syllabus, grading policy, and any disputes MUST be directed to the sponsoring faculty member and department and not to the course facilitator or the DeCal office. In addition, the student facilitator must be a registered UC Berkeley student in the term they are teaching the UGBA 198.