DeCal proposals must be submitted to the Haas Undergraduate Program Office by October 27th for the Spring 2024 semester. Your DeCal proposal must be submitted as a singular PDF file to José Martínez, Associate Director of Academic Affairs, via email at [email protected].
The following must be submitted by the deadline:
- UGBA 198 – Directed Group Study Form
- Course Proposal Form for Student-Facilitated Courses
- Includes a Directed Group Study form, Unit Value worksheet, and a student checklist.
- Fully developed syllabus – A fully developed syllabus will include at least the following: an outline of course content, a reading list, statement of frequency of class meetings, clear description of assignments and requirements for passing the class, key learning outcomes, method(s) of instruction, and method(s) of evaluation of student performance.
- Faculty Sponsor Letter of Support – A letter of support from the instructor of record must be provided for each course the instructor is sponsoring. The letter should address the five questions explaining the role and relationship the instructor has with the course. The letter should be written on department letterhead, dated, and signed by the instructor of record.
- Proof of Completion of a UCFTR Training Workshop for each student facilitator.
If approved, the Undergraduate Program Office will request a classroom, course numbers, and the Permission Numbers to be assigned by the student facilitator to students approved to enroll in the 198 course. The facilitator will also be granted access to limited Haas Computer Center services.
Important Note: Student facilitators are NOT instructors and do not replace the faculty members who are sponsoring their courses. Any questions regarding course content, syllabus, grading policy, and any disputes MUST be directed to the sponsoring faculty member and department and not to the course facilitator or the DeCal office. In addition, the student facilitator must be a registered UC Berkeley student in the term they are teaching the UGBA 198.