General Information

The Education Abroad Program (EAP) is a University of California international study program administered from a main office at UC Santa Barbara, with an on-campus office in 160 Stephens Hall.

There are several advantages to EAP:

  • High quality, well-administered programs to choose from in a wide range of locations around the world
  • All the courses you take transfer to your UC Berkeley transcript and GPA
  • You continue to be a Berkeley student, pay Berkeley fees, and remain eligible for financial aid


The Haas Undergraduate Program will review your academic standing before approving a semester or year abroad. You are required to have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and be making normal degree progress.

It is very important that you become familiar with the information on this Haas International Study website, Berkeley Study Abroad and EAP, UC Berkeley policies, as well as those of the host university. Failure to comply with the appropriate rules and procedures may affect your UC and EAP status, as well as your degree progress and status in the Haas Undergraduate Program.

Course Selection

Before you choose an international program and begin to consider courses, it is very important to think about your Haas degree requirements. Please refer to your degree audit in Cal Central via the Academic Progress Report (APR). This will enable you to see your remaining requirements and the room in your schedule to take non-required courses abroad.

While abroad during the Academic Year, you must enroll in at least 13 semester units of UC transferable work (or the EAP minimum if higher.) Units earned during Pre-ILP or ILP (EAP Intensive Language Programs) will NOT count toward the 13 required semester units. Please remember that Dionne Daniels, Associate Director of Global Experience, must review your Academic Planning Form (provided by Berkeley Study Abroad) before finalizing your enrollment abroad and that no adjustments (add/drop/grading option) may be made to your schedule after the 5th week of instruction (or the EAP or host university deadline, if sooner.)

On EAP, you can make normal degree progress and complete courses that fall into any or all of the following categories:

  • Breadth Courses (See Breadth Guidelines)
  • Upper-Division Non-Business Courses
  • Upper-Division Business Elective Courses – All business elective classes abroad must be taken for a letter grade. This is a non-negotiable policy.
  • All Business Core courses MUST be taken at UC Berkeley.

In addition, you may have room in your schedule to complete a range of other interesting courses that do not fulfill degree requirements. Some students, for example, are able to focus solely on language study while abroad.

Transferability of Courses

All courses completed on EAP are UC transferable and will be listed on your UC transcript. All of the grades will be listed as well and will be part of your UC GPA. Business courses must be completed for letter grades, and those grades will also affect your business GPA. The EAP office will determine the unit value and whether courses are upper division or lower division.

Request Study Abroad Course for Academic Credit

It is important to have an academic plan before your study abroad program. Prospective study abroad students should review their APR and the UCEAP course catalog for academic planning. Before requesting any study abroad course review requests, accepted study abroad students should complete the Academic Planning Form (provided by Berkeley Study Abroad) before departure.

If you have been accepted to study abroad and have already completed the Academic Planning Form, you are encouraged to submit a study abroad course review request online:

Submit a study abroad course review request

Reporting Your International Enrollment

You must confirm your course selection with Dionne Daniels, Associate Director of Global Experience, after you reach your destination and before finalizing your enrollment. You can do so by e-mailing [email protected].

Please include all of the following information:

Your Name
University you are attending
Semester(s) abroad
EAP or other sponsoring school
Send a screenshot of your EAP study list or sponsoring school enrollment page if it is an independent study abroad program.

Cal Central Enrollment

Service Indicators for the semester of your return to UC Berkeley/Haas will not be released until after you submit and receive approval of your course enrollment list.

Senior Residence Requirement

After you become a senior (with 90 semester units earned toward your B.S. degree), you must complete at least 24 of the remaining 30 units in residence at the University in at least two semesters. To count as residence, a semester must consist of at least 4 passed units. You may use a Berkeley Summer Session to satisfy one semester of the senior residence requirement, provided that you successfully complete 4 units of coursework in the Summer Session.

Date of Graduation

Date of Graduation requirements do not change for students who study abroad. Business courses completed abroad will be calculated into your Business Major GPA and affect your honors eligibility. Students who go abroad during their final year at Haas may have to be taken off the Spring degree list and added to the Summer or Fall degree list, depending on when the international transcript is received. This would not entitle a student to enroll in classes at UC Berkeley during the Fall semester. Students completing Simultaneous Degrees, please note that this might affect your date of graduation from both majors. However, their degree(s) will be backdated to the semester that they studied abroad. Please note, if the student is completing a Simultaneous Degree with the College of Engineering or Natural Resources, their degree will not be back dated as those Colleges do not allow for this. Students whose degrees have been finalized and are eligible for Honors at Graduation after their EAP work has been posted to their transcripts, will be responsible for paying for a new diploma from the Office of the Registrar.

Finanical Aid

If you receive financial aid, please check with the Study Abroad Financial Aid Counselor in 160 Stephens Hall about which scholarships and grants are still available to you while you are off-campus. In general, students participating in EAP can keep some or all of their financial aid, but students on other programs are often unable to do so.


International study can enhance your marketability, but important employer functions and on-campus recruiting may take place while you are away. A little pre-planning should help to mitigate this problem.

Career Center
2111 Bancroft Way
(510) 642-1716

Information for Current EAP Reciprocity Students

We welcome exchange students to spend a semester or a year in the School through the UC sponsored Education Abroad Program. If your home university is a member of this exchange, please request information and an application from your home campus. The application process is lengthy so interested students are encouraged to plan ahead. While exchange students are not required to meet the same admission criteria as the degree candidates, applications are reviewed thoroughly to ensure adequate academic preparation for successful participation in our program. The list of schools participating in EAP is quite extensive. Please contact your home university or check the EAP web page for information.

Questions Regarding EAP Participation and Campus Resources

Berkeley Study Abroad (BSA)
160 Stephens Hall #2302
(510) 642-1356
[email protected]