Management of Organizations
Researcher focused on health care management
Ambar La Forgia is an assistant professor in the Management of Organizations group at the Haas School of Business. Her research studies the relationship between organizational and managerial strategies and performance outcomes in the health care sector. In particular, she uses quantitative methods to study how the strategic decisions of corporations to merge, acquire, or partner with other organizations can change managerial processes in ways that impact both financial and clinical performance. A secondary research strand studies how health care organizations adapt their service delivery and prices following changes in state and federal legislation.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Health care
- Research methods
- Corporate strategy
- Mergers and acquisitions
- La Forgia, A. (2022). The Impact of Management on Clinical Performance: Evidence from Physician Practice Management Companies. Management Science.
- La Forgia, A., Bond, A., Braun, R. T., Yao, L. Kjaer, K., Zhang, M., & Casalino, L. (2022). Association of Physician Management Companies and Private Equity Investment With Commercial Health Care Prices Paid to Anesthesia Practitioners. JAMA Internal Medicine.
- La Forgia, A., Bond, A., Braun, R. T., Kjaer, K., Zhang, M., & Casalino, L. (2021). Association of Surprise Billing Legislation with Prices Paid to In-Network and Out-of-Network Anesthesiologists in California, Florida, and New York. JAMA Internal Medicine.
- La Forgia, A. (2020). The Impact of Acquisitions on Clinical Decisions: Evidence from Physician Practice Management Companies. Proceedings of the Eightieth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management.
- “Physician Management Companies and Prices, Utilization, and Quality of Neonatology Services,” with Jiani Yu, Tyler Braun, Amelia Bond, Manyao Zhang, and Larry Casalino. (R&R)
- “Growing Networks and Growing Families: The Impact of Alliances and Acquisitions on Fertility Clinic Outcomes.” with Julia Bodner
At Haas since 2022
- July 2022-present, Assistant Professor, Management of Organizations & Health Policy, Haas School of Business
- 2019-2022, Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Spanish (Native)
- Portuguese (Fluent)
- Here’s What Happens To Anesthesia Contracts When Private Practices Get Bought Out w. Dr. Ambar La Forgia. Anesthesia Practice Management Success with Justin Harvey, Episode 154. (July 18, 2022).
- Buy and Bust: When Private Equity Comes for Rural Hospitals. Tribble, Sarah Jane. (June 15, 2022). Kaiser Health News.
- Vermont’s largest hospital system and a massive insurance company are deadlocked. Thousands of patients are caught in the middle. Krupp, Lexi. (March 22, 2022). Vermont Public Radio.
- Leading People (EWMBA)