Associate Professor Emeritus
Barbara & Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow
Business & Public Policy
Expertise and Research Interests
- Game theory
- Methodology and econometrics
- Non-market strategy
- Institutions and organizations
- Bureaucratic organization
- American politics
“Skill, Luck, and the Multiproduct Firm: Evidence From Hedge Funds,” with Evan Rawley. (Working Paper). PDF.
“The Effect of Parent Firm Location on the Performance of Entrepreneurial Spawns: Evidence from Hedge Funds,” with Phillipp Meyer and Evan Rawley. (Working paper). PDF.
“Does Private Money Buy Public Policy?” with Geoff Edwards. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 16, no. 3 (2007): 547-576.
- “Hedge Funds and the Active Management Industry,” with Neil Brown, Vineet Budhraja, and Ryan Meredith. Journal of Alternative Investments, (2007).
- “Rationality, Inaccurate Mental Models and Self-Confirming Equilibrium,” with Jack Rakove and Barry R. Weingast. Journal of Theoretical Politics 18, no. 4 (2006): 384-415.
- “Are Patriots Bigots? An Inquiry Into the Vices of In-Group Pride.” With Zachary Elkins. American Journal of Political Science, 47:1 (January 2003), pp. 171-181.
- “The Allocation of Resources by Interest Groups: Lobbying, Litigation, and Administrative Regulation,” with John M. de Figueiredo. Business and Politics 4, no. 2 (2002): 161-181.
- “Managerial Decision-making in Non-Market Strategy: An Experiment,” with John M. de Figueiredo. Advances in Strategic Management (2002).
- “Electoral Competition, Political Uncertainty, and Policy Insulation.” American Political Science Review 96, no. 2 (2002): 321-333.
- “Strategy, Structure and Regulation: Telecommunications in the New Economy,” with Pablo T. Spiller. Michigan State Law Review (2000): 253-285.
- “An Informational Perspective on Administrative Procedures,” with Pablo T. Spiller and Santiago Urbiztondo. Journal of Law, Economics and Organization (1999): 283-205.
At Haas since 1997
2003 – present, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
1997 – 2003, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
- Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Qualified Case Leader, The Boston Consulting Group, Melbourne, Australia
- Reviewer for American Journal of Political Science; American Political Science Review; Business and Politics; California Management Review; Journal of Economics and Management Strategy; Journal of Law and Economics; Journal of Law, Economics and Organization; Journal of Political Economy; Journal of Public Economics; Journal of Theoretical Politics
- Schwabacher Junior Faculty Award
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, PhD Program, 1999
- Strategy, MBA 299B
- Deals, MBA 277-2
- Institutional Analysis Workshop, PHDBA 270