Business & Social Impact
Expertise and Research Interests
- Social entrepreneurship and leadership in nonprofit organizations
- College access and post-secondary success
- Agricultural transformation in the developing work
- “The Elephant in the Room: Financial Inclusion for the Missing Middle”, MIT Innovations Journal, Boston, MA, Winter 2015.
- Open for Business? The Economic Impact of Internet Openness, Dalberg Global Development Advisors, in cooperation with Google, San Francisco, CA 2014
- “The Revolution Must be Green: Feeding the Future through Sustainable Innovations” Frontiers in Development, USAID, Washington DC, May 2012.
- “Curing the Cattle: Making Veterinary Services Available to Poor Farmers in Zambia” Base of the Pyramid e-Journal, Cornell University Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise, June 2008.
- “SME Finance for Sustainable Development: A Case Study of Kosovo” Commonwealth Business Journal, Commonwealth Business Council, London UK, June 2007.
- “Assessing the Need for a National Wholesale Fund: The Case of Ecuador” MicroBanking
At Haas since 2013
2013 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2012 – present, Partner, Regional Director for the Americas, Dalberg Global Development Advisors, San Francisco CA
2008 – present, Adjunct Instructor, Center for Career Services, The Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
2009 – 2012, Director, Global Business Initiative at the Swain Center, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Cameron School of Business
2007 – 2012, Adjunct Professor, Department of Finance and Economics, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Cameron School of Business
2006 – 2011, Consultant and Instructor, UNCW, Division for Public Service and Continuing Studies
1999 – 2008, Senior Manager, Financial Sector Development, Cardno Emerging Markets USA Ltd., Washington DC (formerly Deloitte Emerging Markets)
2009 – 2012, Managing Director of the Economic Growth Practice, Cardno Emerging Markets USA Ltd., Washington DC (formerly Deloitte Emerging Markets)
1996 – 1999, Manager, Financial Institutions Group, A.T. Kearney Pte. Ltd., Bangkok, Thailand
1995 – 1996, Associate, Financial Institutions Group, T. Kearney, Inc. Management Consultants, Washington, DC
1994, Financial Analyst, Office of Capital Markets, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Washington, D.C.
1993, Summer Management Associate, Citibank, NA, Financial Institutions Group, New York, NY
1992 – 1993, Agribusiness Analyst, Enterprise Support Unit and Corporate Banking Unit, Bank of Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
1993, Assistant Project Coordinator, Sub-Saharan Africa, Agricultural Cooperative Development International, Washington, D.C.
1991 – 1992, Assistant to the International Affairs Advisor to the Chairman, Leucadia National Corporation, Washington, D.C.
1990 – 1991, Manager of Client Services/Contract Administrator, Atlantic Consultants/Ranchos Dorados, San Jose, Costa Rica
- UGBA 192N Social Entrepreneurship
- UGBA 192A Leading Nonprofit and Social Enterprises