Distinguished Teaching Fellow
Economic Analysis & Policy
Expertise and Research Interests
- Entrepreneurship and innovation in developing regions
- The role of business and technology in economic development
- Innovation clusters and regional economic development
- Agricultural development
- Entrepreneurial education
- International consulting
- Peter Knight, Flavio Feferman, and Nathalia Foditsch, Broadband Internet in Brazil (Banda Larga no Brasil) (Editora Figurati, 2016).
- Flavio Feferman et al., Groupelephant.com: Going “Beyond Corporate Purpose” (Haas Case Series, 2016)
- Flavio Feferman, “Brazil: Good governance in the tropics – The Rise of the Porto Digital Cluster of Innovation” in J. Engel, Global Clusters of Innovation (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014).
- Fernando Carvalho, Flavio Feferman, Peter Knight and Glenn Woroch, “Private-Public Partnerships for Expanding Broadband Access: Lessons from the Cinturão Digital do Ceará Network in Brazil”. International Telecommunications Society (ITS) Conference, December 2014.
- Feferman et al., “Minas Gerais State Regional Economic Competitiveness Strategy”, submitted to the Federation of Industries, Government of Minas Gerais, Brazil, and the Inter-American Development Bank, 2012.
At Haas since 2008
2008 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2016 – present, Co-Director, Berkeley-Haas Lean Launchpad program in Brazil
2013 – present, Faculty Advisor, UC-Haiti Initiative
2010 – 2013, Faculty Advisor, Latin American and Hispanic Business Conference, Berkeley-Haas
2007 – present, President, Developing Markets Group, San Francisco, CA
2001 – 2007, Director, Agland Investment Services, Larkspur, CA
2000 – 2001, Senior Business Consultant, Sapient Corporation, San Francisco, CA
1997 – 1998, Consultant, World Bank, Northeast Brazil
1990 – 1996, Associate, Aguirre International, San Mateo, CA
1989, Researcher, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2014
- Club 6 Member, Haas School of Business (for teaching excellence, based on student evaluations), multiple semesters
- Recognition for Club 6 membership in multiple courses, 2013
- MBA215: Business Strategies for Emerging Markets
- EWMBA298: Seminar in International Business (SIB)
- XMBA296: Brazil Immersion (EMBA program)
- MBA298A: International Business Development (IBD) international consulting course
- MBA290T: Business and Technology for Sustainable Development
- Faculty mentor: Lean Launchpad entrepreneurship course
- Executive education programs, Center for Executive Education (CEE)
- Guest Lectures: Global Management, Marketing for High Tech Entrepreneurs, Social Impact Speaker Series, Undergraduate Seminar on Haiti.