Gary & Sherron Kalbach Chair in Business Administration | Professor of Operations and Information Technology Management
Operations & IT Management
Candace “Candi” Yano holds the Gary & Sherron Kalbach Chair in Business Administration and is a Professor of Operations and Information Technology Management. She is also a Professor in UC Berkeley’s Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR). She served as Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Chair of the Faculty of the Haas School of Business from 2016 through June 2019.
Yano’s primary research interests are production, inventory and logistics management, as well as interdisciplinary problems involving manufacturing and marketing. She is currently the Editor of the Focused issues on Scheduling and Logistics of IIE Transactions, and a Department Editor for the Operations and Supply Chain Department of Management Science, among other editorial posts.
During the 2003-4 academic year, she was affiliated with the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University, as the Susan B. Butler Visiting Chair of Operations Management. From 1995 to 2001, she served as Chair of the IEOR Department at UC Berkeley. She holds an AB in Economics, an MS in Operations Research, and an MS and Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering from Stanford University. She held positions at Bell Telephone Laboratories and the University of Michigan prior to joining Berkeley.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Supply Chain Management
- Service Systems Management
- Production-Quality Interface Issues
- Marketing-Production Interface Issues
- Houmin Yan, Candace Arai Yano, and Hanqin Zhang. Multi-Period Inventory Models with Target-Profit Constraints under Accrual- and Cash-Basis Accounting. Production and Operations Management.
- Bo Liao, Candace Arai Yano, and Shiva Esturi. Optimizing Site Qualification Across the Supply Network at Western Digital. Interfaces.
- Shiming Deng, Candace Arai Yano. Designing Supply Contracts Considering Profit Targets and Risk. Productions and Operations Management.
- Frank Youhua Chen, Candace Arai Yano. Improving Supply Chain Performance and Managing Risk Under Weather-Related Demand Uncertainty”. Management Science.
- Elizabeth Junqueira Durango-Cohen, Candace Arai Yano. Supplier Commitment and Production Decisions Under a Forecast-Commitment Contract. Management Science.
- Candace Arai Yano, Stephen M. Gilbert. Coordinated Pricing and Production/Procurement Decisions: A Review. Managing Business Interfaces: Marketing, Engineering and Manufacturing Perspectives.
- Jing-Sheng Song, Candace Arai Yano, and Panupol Lerrssrisuriya. Contract Manufacturing: Dealing with Combined Supply Timing and Demand Quantity Uncertainty. Manufacturing and Service Operations Management.
- Candace Arai Yano and Hau L. Lee. Lot Sizing with Random Yields: A Review. Operations Research.
- Candace Arai Yano and Ram Rachamadugu. Sequencing to Minimize Work Overload in Assembly Lines with Product Options. Management Science.
At Haas since 2001
2015 – present, Gary and Sherron Kalbach Chair in Business Administration, Haas School of Business
2016 – 2019, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Chair of the Faculty, Haas School of Business
2004 – 2015, OITM Group Chair, Haas School of Business
2001 – present, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1993 – present, Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering & Operations Research, UC Berkeley
2003 – 2004, Visiting Susan B. Butler Chair of Operations Management, Krannert School of Management, Purdue University
1995 – 2001, Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, UC Berkeley
1988 – 1993, Associate Professor, Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
1983 – 1988, Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial & Operations Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Senior Vice President for Publications, Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Editorial Board, INFORMS Journal on Service Science
Kimball Medal (highest award for service)
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE)
Award for Advancement of Women in OR/MS
Women in OR/MS Forum of INFORMS
IEOR Professor of the Year Award (teaching excellence award)
University of California, Berkeley
University of California Berkeley
Distinguished Service Award
INFORMS Section on Manufacturing & Service Operations Management
- ‘She understands’: Asian American prof shares life lessons with students, UC Berkeley News, 05/31/2019