Lecturer, Clausen Center for International Business and Policy
Economic Analysis & Policy
• Does Foreign Direct Investment Accelerate Economic Growth? With Ross Levine. The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Development: New Measurements, New Outcomes, New Policy Approaches, Ed: Theodore Moran, 2005.
• Finance and Growth: New Evidence and Policy Analysis for Chile. With Ross Levine. Economic growth: Sources, Trends, and Cycles, Eds: Norman Loayza and Raimundo Soto, Central Bank of Chile, 2002.
• How Much Bang for the Buck? Mexico and Dollarization. With Ross Levine. Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, May 2001.
• Business Cycles in Europe: A Review of their Stylized Facts. (IMF mimeo, October 2000)
• Portugal: An Empirical Investigation of the Business Cycle, 1997. Selected Issues and Statistical Background, IMF, 1997.
• Portugal: Growth After Accession to the European Union: The Pay Off of Policy Reforms, 1996. Selected Issues and Statistical Background, IMF, 1996.
• Portugal: The Social Security System, Appendix to Recent Economic Developments, IMF, 1995.
• IMF Conditionality: Experience Under Stand-By and Extended Arrangements. Part I: Key Issues and Findings. With Susan Schadler, Adam Bennett, Louis Dicks-Mireaux, Mauro Mecagni, James Morsink and Miguel Savastano. IMF Occasional Paper 128. (Washington, International Monetary Fund, September 1995).
• IMF Conditionality: Experience Under Stand-By and Extended Arrangements. Part II: Background Papers. With Susan Schadler, Adam Bennett, Louis Dicks-Mireaux, Mauro Mecagni, James Morsink and Miguel Savastano. IMF Occasional Paper 129. (Washington, International Monetary Fund, September 1995).
• Recent Experiences with Surges in Capital Inflows. With Susan Schadler, Adam Bennett and Robert Kahn. IMF Occasional Paper No. 108. (Washington, International Monetary Fund, December 1993).
• Real Exchange Rate Determination: The Case of Colombia and Coffee, in The Colombian Economy: Issues of Trade and Development eds. Alvin Cohen and Frank R. Gunter. Westview Press, 1992.
At Haas since 2012
2012-2019, Executive Director, Institute for Business Innovation, Haas School of Business
2005-2012, Director, the C.V. Starr Program in Commerce, Organizations and Entrepreneurship
Lecturer, Economics Department
1999-2005, Senior Fellow, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota
1998-1999, Visiting Professor, Economics Department, University of Virginia
1986-1998, Economist/Senior Economist/Deputy Division Chief, International Monetary Fund
2000-present, Consultant, International Monetary Fund
- International Trade, Brown University, 2005-2012
- Global Macroeconomic Challenges, Brown University, 2005-2012
- International Finance, Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota, 1999-2005
- Intermediate Macroeconomics, University of Virginia, 1998-1999
- International Monetary Fund seminars on open economy macroeconomics, public finance, monetary economics, and international trade for developing country officials in Austria, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, and Washington DC, 2000-present.