Retired hedge fund manager and co-author of The Rise Of Carry
Kevin Coldiron is a lecturer in the Master of Financial Engineering Program at the Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, and host of the Ideas Lab podcast series on the Top Traders Unplugged platform.
Prior to joining the Haas faculty he co-founded Algert Coldiron Investors (ACI), a San Francisco-based quantitative hedge fund. He previously headed the hedge fund business at Barclays Global Investors in London and has also worked as a currency market analyst at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Kevin has an MBA from London Business School and a BSc in Finance from the Pennsylvania State University.
Kevin is co-author with Tim and Jamie Lee of The Rise Of Carry ,which was a top selling investment book on Amazon and awarded the 2020 Globie for Globalization Book of the Year. He has been featured on top podcasts such as Bloomberg’s OddLots and Hidden Forces.
He publishes a monthly newsletter called The Ideas Lab: New Ways To Understand Global Markets, which summarizes his writings, interviews and research.
He is a Treasurer and founding Board Member of Capitalists For Shared Income, a non-profit building a permanent endowment to fund cash payments for those living in poverty.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Carry trades
- Sentiment and asset valuation
- Financial ecosystem
- Ideas Lab Newsletter
- Forbes Column
- The Ideas Lab: New Ways To Understand Global Markets: Monthly summary of my writing & interviews.
- “The End of Carry?”, with Tim Lee and Jamie Lee. Wilmott Magazine (January 2021).
- “The Rise of Carry: The Dangerous Consequences of Volatility Suppression and the New Financial Order of Decaying Growth and Recurring Crisis” with Tim Lee and Jamie Lee. McGraw Hill. December 2019.
- “EMU and the Asset Allocation Decision,” with Ken Kroner. Journal of Investment (1999). Awarded Journal of Investing Best Paper award for 1999.
- “Editorial – The Future of Pure Passive and Pure Active Investing”. Journal of Asset Management (2000).
At Haas since 2016
- 2016 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
- 2017 – present, Investment Review Committee, BlackRock Canada
- 2016 – present, Owner, Rockridge Capital LLC
- 2002 – 2014, Founder and Co-Chief Investment Officer, Algert Coldiron Investors, San Francisco
- 1994 – 2002, Managing Director, Barclays Global Investors, London
- 1988 – 1991, Analyst, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Treasurer & Board Member, Capitalists For Shared Income
- Finance Committee Chair, Board of Regents, Bishop O’Dowd High School, Oakland CA (2013-2021)
- Advisory Board, MSc in Financial and Investment Management, St. Mary’s College, (2016-2019)
- Active private investor in alternative investments
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2018, MFE Program
- Dynamic Asset Allocation
- MFE & Executive Education