Professor | Marketing Group Chair | Edgar F. Kaiser Chair in Business Administration
Ganesh Iyer is the Edgar F. Kaiser Professor of Business Administration at Berkeley Haas. He received his PhD from the University of Toronto, and he was previously on the faculty at Olin Business School, Washington University in St. Louis. He is currently a Senior Editor for Marketing Science and has been an Associate Editor for Marketing Science, Management Science, and Quantitative Marketing and Economics. He was also a member of the Board of the Informs Society for Marketing Science as Secretary of the Board from 2012-2016. He has served as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Chair of Faculty of Berkeley Haas from 2008-2010, Member and Chair of the Berkeley Haas Policy and Planning Committee from 2012-2014, and Chair of the school’s Marketing Group from 2010-2011.
Iyer’s research uses economic theory to study marketing strategy problems. He has written extensively on various areas of marketing strategy, including the coordination of product distribution, marketing information, internet strategy, strategic communication, and bounded rationality in marketing strategy. His research has won the Little Award in 2000 for the best paper published in Management Science and Marketing Science, and he has been a finalist for this best paper award on four other occasions (1998, 2003, 2005 and 2012). His papers have also been finalists for the Informs Society of Marketing Science Long Term Impact Award in 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Competitive Marketing Strategy
- Internet Strategy and E-Commerce
- Information Design
- Distribution Channels
- Advertising and Communication
- Bounded Rationality
- Ganesh Iyer and Hema Yoganarasimhan. Strategic Polarization in Group Interactions. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Ganesh Iyer and Zachary Zhong. Pushing Notifications as Dynamic Information Design. Marketing Science.
- Qiang Fu and Ganesh Iyer. Multimarket Value Creation and Competition. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and Shubhranshu Singh. Voluntary Product Safety Certification. Management Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and David Soberman. Social Responsibility and Product Innovation. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and Zsolt Katona. Competing for Attention in Social Communication Markets. Management Science.
- Liang Guo and Ganesh Iyer. Multilateral Bargaining and Downstream Competition. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and Dmitri Kuksov. Competition in Consumer Shopping Experience. Marketing Science.
- Yuxin Chen, Ganesh Iyer, and Amit Pazgal. Limited Memory, Categorization, and Competition. Marketing Science.
- Liang Guo and Ganesh Iyer. Information Acquisition and Sharing in a Vertical Relationship. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and Dmitri Kuksov. Consumer Feelings and Equilibrium Product Quality. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy.
- Ganesh Iyer and Erik Durbin. Corruptible Advice. American Economic Journal: Microeconomics.
- G. Iyer, C. Narasimhan, and R. Niraj. Information and Inventory in Distribution Channels. Management Science.
- G. Iyer, D. Soberman, and J. M. Villas-Boas. The Targeting of Advertising. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and Amit Pazgal. Internet Shopping Agents: Virtual Colocation and Competition. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and J. Miguel Villas-Boas. A Bargaining Theory of Distribution Channels. Journal of Marketing Research.
- Ganesh Iyer, Yuxin Chen, and V. Padmanabhan. Referral Infomediaries. Marketing Science 21.
- Ganesh Iyer and Yuxin Chen. Consumer Addressability and Customized Pricing. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer and David Soberman. Markets for Product Modification Information. Marketing Science.
- Ganesh Iyer. Coordinating Channels Under Price and Non-Price Competition. Marketing Science.
At Haas since 2000
2007 – present, Edgar F. Kaiser Professor of Business Administration
2003 – 2006, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2000 – 2003, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
1996 – 2000, Assistant Professor, John M. Olin School of Business, Washington University
- Senior Editor, Marketing Science
- Associate Editor, Management Science
- Area editor, Marketing Science
- Associate Editor, Quantitative Marketing and Economics
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Marketing, Review of Marketing Science
- Ad hoc reviewer, American Economic Review, Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, Rand Journal of Economics, Operations Research, Naval Research Logistics, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy
Finalist for the John D.C Little Best Paper Award
Awarded for the paper “Competition in Consumer Shopping Experience,” published in Marketing Science.
Finalist for the 2012 Informs Long-Term Impact Award
Awarded for two papers published in Marketing Science, (“The Targeting of Advertising,” and “Internet Shopping Agents: Virtual Colocation and Competition”)
Honorable Mention for the Earl F. Cheit Outstanding Teaching Award
Informs Society for Marketing Science Doctoral Consortium, Faculty Fellow
2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium, Faculty Fellow,
2006, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015
Finalist for the John D.C. Little Best Paper Award for 2005
Awarded for the paper “The Targeting of Advertising,” Published in Marketing Science
Marketing Science Institute’s Young Scholars Program
Finalist for the John D.C. Little Best Paper Award for 2003
Awarded for the paper “Internet Shopping Agents: Virtual Colocation and Competition” published in Marketing Science
Schwabacher Fellowship, Haas School of Business
Marketing Science Institute’s Young Scholars Program
Winner of the John D.C. Little Best Paper Award for 2000
Awarded for the paper “Markets for Product Modification Information” published in Marketing Science
Finalist for the John D.C. Little Best Paper Award for 1998
Awarded for the paper “Coordinating Channels under Price and Non-price Competition published in Marketing Science
University of Toronto Representative to the Doctoral Consortium
AMA Santa Clara, CA, 1994
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Fellowship
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
William Twaits Scholarship
University of Toronto Open Scholarship
Finalist for the 2014 and 2015 Informs Long-Term Impact Award
Awarded for the “The Targeting of Advertising,” 2005, published in Marketing Science
- Disney is offering a free education program — why women might benefit more than men, Market Watch, 01/25/2018
- Conspicuous Conservation And The Drive Toward Eco Products, Earth911, 10/04/2016
- Sugar Producer, Are sugar companies exploiting the cache of social responsibility?, 07/26/2016
- What’s driving the next generation of green products?, Science Daily, 06/09/2016
- Marketing Management and Organization, MBA 206, EWMBA 206
- Doctoral Seminar, Marketing Strategy, PHD 269-D
- Doctoral Seminar, PHDBA 268C