Cheryl and Christian Valentine Professor
Zsolt Katona is Cheryl and Christian Valentine Professor at the Haas School of Business. Katona joined Berkeley Haas in 2008 as an assistant professor of marketing. His research focuses on online marketing strategy, networks, and social media. He studies how firms can better take advantage of new digital technologies and how they can integrate them into their marketing mix.
Katona is faculty director of the Fisher Center for Business Analytics at the Haas School. He was named a Marketing Science Institute Scholar awardee and was a Barbara and Gerson Bakar Faculty Fellow. He is associate editor of the journals Management Science and Marketing Science, and serves on the editorial board of the International Journal of Research in Marketing. Before joining Berkeley Haas, Katona received his PhD in management (marketing) from INSEAD. He also holds a PhD in computer science and an MSc in Mathematics, Eotvos Lorand University, Hungary.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Online Marketing
- Search Advertising
- Network Economics
- Social Networks
- Zsolt Katona, Jonathan Knee, and Miklos Sarvary. Agenda Chasing and Contests among News Providers. RAND Journal of Economics.
- Peter Zubcsek, Zsolt Katona, and Miklos Sarvary. Predicting Mobile Advertising Response Using Consumer Co-Location Networks. Journal of Marketing.
- Ganesh Iyer and Zsolt Katona. Competing for Attention in Social Communication Markets. Management Science.
- Zsolt Katona. Democracy in Product Design: Consumer Participation and Differentiation Strategies. Quantitative Marketing and Economics.
- Peter Zubcsek, Imran Chowdhury and Zsolt Katona. Information Communities: The Network Structure of Communication. Social Networks.
- Zsolt Katona and Miklos Sarvary. Maersk Line: B2B Social Media – ‘It’s Communication, Not Marketing”. California Management Review.
- Ron Berman and Zsolt Katona. The Role of Search Engine Optimization in Search Rankings. Marketing Science.
- Chrysanthos Dellarocas, Zsolt Katona and William Rand. Media, Aggregators and the Link Economy: Strategic Hyperlink Formation in Content Networks. Management Science.
- Kaifu Zhang and Zsolt Katona. Contextual Advertising. Marketing Science.
- Gyula O.H. Katona, Gyula Y. Katona, and Zsolt Katona. Most Probably Intersecting Families of Subsets. Combinatorics, Probability and Computing.
- Zsolt Katona and Miklos Sarvary. Network Formation and the Structure of the Commercial World Wide Web,” with Miklos Sarvary. Marketing Science.
- Zsolt Katona and Tamas Mori. A New Class of Scale-Free Graphs. Statistics and Probability Letters.
- Zsolt Katona. Levels of a Scale-Free Tree. Random Structures and Algorithms.
- Zsolt Katona. The Width of a Scale-Free Tree. Journal of Applied Probability.
At Haas since 2008
2014 – 2017, Associate Professor, Berkeley Haas
2008 – 2014, Assistant Professor, Berkeley Haas
- Ad-hoc reviewer: Marketing Science; Journal of Marketing Research
MSI Alden G. Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition Winner
Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship
Association for Consumer Research Best Working Paper Award
AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow
- ‘Brands Are Really Going To Be Judged.’ Companies Are Walking a Tightrope During the COVID-19 Pandemic, Time, 04/02/2020
- Alternative data and the sophisticated investor advantage, Canadian Investment Review, 05/02/2019
- Retailers want more than your cash this holiday season, Marketplace, 11/28/2018
- Business Analytics Wave Sweeps Across B-Schools, Poets anad Quants, 01/22/2018
- WATCH: Berkeley Does Ballroom, California Magazine, 01/11/2017
- Business to Business Marketing, MBA 267