Professor | Kruttschnitt Family Chair in Financial Institutions | Distinguished Teaching Fellow
Expertise and Research Interests
- Financial Economics
- Asset Pricing
- Mutual Funds
- Martin Lettau, Sydney Ludvigson and Sai Ma. Capital Share Risk and Shareholder Heterogeneity in U.S. Stock Pricing. Journal of Finance.
- Martin Lettau and Ananth Madhavan. ETF 101 for Economist. Journal of Economic Perspectives.
- Martin Lettau, Massimiliano Croce and Sydney Ludvigson. Investor Information, Long-Run Risk, and the Term Structure of Equity. The Review of Financial Studies.
- Martin Lettau, Matteo Maggiori and Michael Weber. Conditional Risk Premia in Currency Markets and Other Asset Classes. Journal of Financial Economics.
- Martin Lettau and Sydney Ludvigson. Shocks and Crashes. NBER Macroeconomics Annual.
- Martin Lettau and Jessica Wachter. The Term Structures of Equity and Interest Rates. Journal of Financial Economics.
At Haas since 2008
2009 – present, Kruttschnitt Family Chair in Financial Institutions
2008 – present, Professor of Finance, Haas School of Business
2007 – 2008, Visiting Professor, Department of Economics, Columbia University
2002 – 2008, Assistant Professor, Department of Finance, Stern School of Business, New York University
2003, Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)
1998 – 2002, Senior Economist/Economist, Research Department, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
1996, Research Fellow/Affiliate, Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
1994 – 1998, Assistant Professor, Center for Economic Research, Tilburg University
AQR Insight Award
Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, PhD Program
Steven F. Maier Prize for Excellence in Research, New York University
2003 – 2006
Frank Ramsey Prize for the best paper in Macroeconomic Dynamics
2001 – 2004
First Prize – Smith-Breeden Award for the best paper in The Journal of Finance
Nomination – Smith-Breeden Award for the best paper in The Journal of Finance
- Will the Real Value Factor Funds Please Stand Up?, Alpha Architect, 02/08/2021
- When bosses shared their profits, New York Times, 06/25/2020
- Shareholders Are Hogging Too Much Economic Growth. It Can’t Last., Barron’s, 04/30/2019
- Want to Invest in a True ‘Value’ Fund? Good Luck Finding One, Wall Street Journal, 02/23/2019
- Stock market’s real driver is not what you think, MarketWatch, 01/03/2018
- Investing in a ‘Winner Takes All’ Economy, The Wall Street Journal, 04/09/2017