Mitsubishi Chair in International Business and Finance Emeritus
Management of Organizations
Expertise and Research Interests
- International business and management, particularly Japanese management
- Corporate governance, organizational networks, organizational theory and research methods
- Human resource management and industrial relations
- “Business Groups, Networks, and Embeddedness: Innovation and Implementation Alliances in Japanese Electronics, 1985-1998.” With Didier Guillot and Matthew Sargent. Industrial and Corporate Change 2016, doi: 10.1093/icc/dtw037.
- “Business Groups as Networks.” With Matthew Sargent. Forthcoming in A. Colpan and T. Hikino (eds.); Business Groups in the West. Oxford University Press.
- The Oxford Handbook of Business Groups. Co-edited with Asli Colpan and Takashi Hikino. New York: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Japan’s Network Economy: Structure, Persistence, and Change, with Michael Gerlach. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004. Co-winner of the Viviana Zelizer award for best book in economic sociology.
- “Dyad and Network: Models of Manufacturer-Supplier Collaboration in the Japanese TV Manufacturing Industry,” with Didier Guillot, in Advances in International Management Special Issue on Changing Japan, edited by Alan Bird and Thomas Roehl. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 2004.
- “Keiretsu, Governance, and Learning: Case Studies in Change from the Japanese Automotive Industry,” with Christina L. Ahmadjian. Organizational Science 12 (2001): 683-701.
- “Organizational Learning and Purchase-Supply Relations in Japan: Hitachi, Matsushita, and Toyota Compared,” with Christina L. Ahmadjian and Eliot Mason. California Management Review 24 (Spring 1998): 241-264. Special Issue on Knowledge and the Firm. Edited by Robert E. Cole.
- “The Transformation of the Japanese Employment System: Nature, Depth, and Origins,” with Yoshifumi Nakata. Work and Occupations 24 (February 1997): 33-55. Reprinted in The Changing Nature of Work, edited by F. Ackerman, N. R. Goodwin, L. Dougherty, and K. Gallagher. Covelo, CA: Island Press, 1998.
- “Commitment, Quits, and Work Organization in the US and Japan,” with Arne L. Kalleberg. Industrial and Labor Relations Review 50 (October 1996): 39-59.
- Culture, Control and Commitment: A Study of Work Organization and Work Attitudes in the US and Japan, with Arne L. Kalleberg. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1990.
At Haas since 1988
2013 – 2016 Visiting Professor, NUS Business School, National University of Singapore
2007 – 2013, Mitsubishi Bank Professor of in International Business and Finance, Haas School of Business
2005 – 2008, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Haas School of Business
2003, 2009, Visiting Professor, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
2002 – 2003, Special Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Policy and Management, Doshisha University
2001, 2008 – 2009, Visiting Scholar, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo
1999 – 2007, Warren E. and Carol Spieker Chair in Leadership
1997 – 2002, Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1996, Visiting Professor, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan
1995 – 1996, Associate Director, Institute of Industrial Relations
1993 – 1994, Visiting Professor, Doshisha University, Kyoto, Japan
1990 – 1991, Visiting Scholar, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo, Japan
1988 – 2007, Professor, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
1984 – 1988, Head, Department of Management & Policy, University of Arizona
1984 – 1988, Professor of Management & Policy and Sociology, University of Arizona
1978 – 1984, Associate Professor of Sociology, Indiana University
1973 – 1979, Assistant/Associate Professor, University of Southern California
- Member: Academy of Management, American Sociological Association, Macro-Organizational Behavior Society, Sociological Research Association
- Earl F. Cheit Award for Excellence in Teaching, PhD Program, 1998
- Elected member, Sociological Research Association, 1983-present
- Elected member, Macro-Organizational Behavior Society, 1984-present
- Research in Macro-Organizational Behavior, BA 254B
- Organizational Behavior, BA 105
- International Business and Japan, BA 296.6