Business & Public Policy
Expert on strategy for the networked economy, competitive advantage in technology markets, and international business
Jon Metzler is a lecturer at Berkeley Haas, where he teaches on competitive advantage in technology markets, and on international business at the undergraduate and MBA levels. He is also associated faculty for the UC Berkeley for Center for Japanese Studies. He has received grant funding from the UC Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies, and from the UC Berkeley Center for Long-Term Cybersecurity. Metzler is also faculty mentor at Berkeley Skydeck, an accelerator for Berkeley-affiliated startups.
Expertise and Research Interests
- 5G Networks
- Tech, Telecom and Media Strategy
- Sharing Economies and Aging Economies
- Competitive Strategy
- Models for Corporate Innovation
- Business in Japan
- Strategy for the Networked Economy
- Security Implications of 5G Networks. Center for Long-Term Cybersecurity.
- Jon Metzler. Six years after the iPhone launched, just 4 big carriers are left standing. VentureBeat.
- Jon Metzler. Girls Who Code Plans to Nurture 70,000 Women Programmers” (Japanese). Nikkei Information Strategy.
- Jon Metzler. What is the Value of a ‘Like’? (Japanese). Nikkei Information Strategy.
- This is Not a Test: The Future of the Emergency Alert System. Inside GNSS.
- Jon Metzler. VoIP E9-1-1: Potential Solutions and Some Lessons from the Wireless E9-1-1 Experience. 9-1-1 Magazine.
- Compressed Evolution: High Tech Entrepreneurship in Japan – A Comparative Study with Silicon Valley. University of California – Berkeley.
At Haas since 2014
2014 – present, Lecturer, Haas School of Business
2008 – present: Founder, Blue Field Strategies
2002 – 2010: Director, Rosum Corporation
- 2015-present: board of directors, Japan Society of Northern California; 2017-2020: board chair
- 2007-2015: board of directors, Stern Grove Festival Association
- 2009-2017: member, Telecom Council of Silicon Valley
- 2005-2009: contributor, Advanced Television Systems Committee
- 2005-2009: contributor, National Emergency Number Association
- Airlines, telecom clash over new 5G spectrum, Marketplace, 11/26/2021
- Eye in the Sky, Leader’s Edge, 11/01/2021
- How 5G Will Change the World, OZY, 08/23/2021
- Seamster.io #EdgeTalks – 5G & Security, Seamster.io, 01/22/2021
- Amazon plans to put more than 3,000 communications satellites into orbit, Univision, 08/11/2020
- Why Comcast purchased Irvine ad-supported streaming service Xumo, Los Angeles Times, 02/25/2020
- Why Nestlé’s launching a premium Kit-Kat, Marketplace, 07/16/2019