Continuing Professional Faculty | Assistant Dean, Chief Marketing Officer
Marketing | Institute for Business Innovation | Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Industry expert on marketing, strategy, and innovation
Bill Pearce is Assistant Dean and Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) for the Haas School of Business, and is a continuing professional faculty member in the Marketing Group and the Institute for Business Innovation.
Pearce is a senior executive with an outstanding track record of profitable business-building based on exceptional strategic, analytic, and financial disciplines. He has broad marketing and general management experience in both the consumer products and consumer service sectors. Bill has functional expertise in both sales and marketing, and is recognized as an inspirational leader who builds strong teams of direct reports and cross functional teamwork.
Pearce ascended the marketing ranks at consumer goods companies including Procter & Gamble, Taco Bell and Del Monte, the latter two as Chief Marketing Officer. He built general management skills as P&L owner at every stop along the way in his marketing career with emphasis on driving Topline and bottom line growth.
Pearce earned his undergraduate degree from Syracuse and then spent six years in sales at Miller Brewing and Coca-Cola USA. Desiring a career in general management, Bill earned his MBA from Cornell University. He began his marketing/GM career with Procter & Gamble, where he spent 11 years. Desiring additional responsibility, he became VP Marketing of the Food Division at Campbell Soup Company. He first advanced to the C-suite with Taco Bell as CMO. There, Bill led the business to consistent same-store sales growth and steered the brand through an E. coli scare with no long-term impact to the brand.
As Chief Marketing Officer for consumer brand marketer Del Monte Foods, Pearce led a turnaround of that company’s complex portfolio of over 30+ brands by upgrading analytic, strategic, and planning practices to drive improvements in portfolio management, marketing productivity, and new product development. The result was a tripling of the market capitalization value and the subsequent purchase of Del Monte by a Private Equity consortium led by KKR.
Most recently, Pearce became Lead Board Director at Ooma (NYSE) and Chairman of VC-backed RichRelevance.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Digital Marketing
- Corporate Innovation
- Marketing Strategy
At Haas since 2011
2017 – present, Assistant Dean and CMO, Haas School of Business
2012 – present, Chairman, RichRelevance
2012 – present, Lead Director, Ooma (NYSE)
2012 – 2014, Managing Director, The Partnering Group
2011 – present, Professional Faculty, Haas School of Business
2008 – 2011, CMO, Del Monte
2007 – 2008, CEO, Foresight Medical Technology
2003 – 2007, CMO, Taco Bell
1992 – 2003, Marketing Director, Procter & Gamble
- 2011 – present, Executive Chairman, RichRelevance
- 2009 – present, Board Member American Heart Association
- Board member and advisior several tech firms
Haas Club Six
- The UK changes crypto strategy, Protocol, 04/05/2022
- The rise of the gig economy spells the end for these workers: ‘We’re the vestiges of the old system, MarketWatch, 07/14/2021
- Fintech Goes On The Mortgage Offensive, Protocol, 07/06/2021
- In a World Let Loose, Video Game Makers Are ‘Doubling Down’, The New York Times, 05/30/2021
- A Crypto Wonk Is Running The SEC, Protocol, 04/20/2021
- Social investing rocked Wall Street. Now, fintechs are seizing an opportunity., Protocol, 04/12/2021
- Feds Have Smart Questions For Smart Banks, Protocol, 04/02/2021
- You Can’t Escape Digital Currency Now, Protocol, 02/26/2021
- Print it: Readers buck e-readers for service, quality at Sacramento bookstores, Sacramento Bee, 06/09/2020
- ‘This isn’t Webvan’: Giants and upstarts are racing to seize grocery delivery’s moment, Protocol, 04/29/2020
- Your Ad Here—Uber Moves Into Car-Top Digital Billboards, Wired, 02/26/2020
- Behind the blitz: Falun Gong practitioners spend millions on Shen Yun ads. How do they do it?, San Francisco Chronicle, 01/11/2020
- What’s in a Domain Name?, Inside Higher Ed, 01/08/2020
- When holiday shopping goes digital, what gets left behind?, KCBS, 12/06/2019
- ‘Meth. We’re on it,’ South Dakota says in ridiculed ad campaign that cost $449,000, The Washington Post, 11/19/2019
- Strategic Brand Management, MBA, Spring 2020
- Corporate Launchpad, EWMBA, Fall 2020
- Marketing Strategy, Fall 2020
- Growth Marketing, Spring 2020