New Admits

Current PhD Students

Welcome New Berkeley Haas PhD Students!

This website will be regularly updated with deadlines and other pertinent information to help guide you through the transition to Berkeley and the beginning of your first semester. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Lisa Sanders Villalba or Melissa Hacker.


  • Prepare to Enroll: You've accepted our offer, now take the next steps to create your CalNetID and prepare for enrollment by clicking here.
  • International Students: The Berkeley International Office (BIO) is responsible for issuing visa documents for international students who will study at UC Berkley with F-1 or J-1 student visas. Click here to be redirected to BIO's website tailored to apply for your visa. Due to processing and embassy wait times, please submit your NIF as soon as possible.
  • Desk Space and Building Access: You will receive an email by early August with more information about desk assignments. At that time, you will also receive information about PhD student level access clearances to Haas buildings.
  • Haas Email Accounts: Each of you will receive a Haas account and affiliated email address ending in Your Haas account is needed to access any Haas computers. We will continue using your personal email address until June 1st. From that point on we will only send to your Haas email account.


  • Econ 204: Summer Session E, July 17 through August 9, 2017 from 10:00AM - 12:00PM, M-F; Final Exam, August 9, 2017. There is a mandatory discussion section every day after the lecture from 1:00PM - 2:30PM. All students pursuing Finance, Accounting, Business and Public Policy, Real Estate, and Marketing Science are required to attend. Note that you may see a bill appear in your student account. DO NOT pay this bill. The PhD Program Office is paying for this course.
  • Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP): Your coverage begins on August 1, 2017. If you have questions regarding coverage for dependents or anything related to insurance coverage, please click here.
  • Berkeley International Office Orientation for New International Graduate Students: Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 8:00AM-12:00PM, Dwinelle Hall. Click here for more information.
  • Berkeley Haas PhD New Student Orientation: Monday, August 21, 2017. More details to come!
  • Graduate Division's New Graduate Student Orientation: Tuesday, August 22, 2017, in Dwinelle Hall. Click here for more information.
  • Fall 2017 Registration: You should all receive an email from UC Berkeley detailing how to enroll in class for fall 2017. To see what classes to take, please click here to find the curriculum for your field of study.


Receiving your Stipend Payments

Once you have a US Bank Account, you can sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) so that you can be paid electronically. Click here to access the website. You can expect your first stipend payment at the end of August.

California Residency

If you are a US Citizen or permanent resident, start getting your California residency in order right away. Open a bank account, use your charge card, get your CA driver's license, update both your local and permanent address in BearFacts and register to vote (a voter registration table is usually set up by the Student Union or forms are available outside 309 Sproul Hall). Please see the Residency Office Website for more information. All US Citizens and permanent residents are required to become legal residents of the State of California before the start of the second year.

Tax e-mail and ITIN for International Students

If you are an international student, you will be receiving an e-mail in the coming days from about your GLACIER form and proper tax withholding. We encourage you to add the e-mail to your contacts and to check your spam folder. You will also receive a separate email from the PhD Program Office with information on applying for an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Money and Banking for International Students

Please visit the Berkeley International Office site on Money and Banking.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

US Citizens and permanent residents are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It does not matter that the deadline has passed. This form is required for certain types of financial support.