Welcome to Berkeley Haas!
This website will be regularly updated with deadlines and other pertinent information to help guide you through the transition to Berkeley and the beginning of your first semester. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Lisa Sanders Villalba or Melissa Hacker.
- Accept your offer of admission by logging into the status page of your UC Berkeley’s online application.
- Create your CalNetID and prepare for enrollment.
- Consider housing options. *If you are considering university housing, please get on a waitlist as soon as you accept our offer since securing housing can be more difficult in this area.
- International Students: The Berkeley International Office (BIO) is responsible for issuing visa documents for international students who will study at UC Berkeley with F-1 or J-1 student visas. Go to BIO’s website to apply for your visa. Due to processing and embassy wait times, please submit your NIF as soon as possible. Please notify PhD Program Office before you do so to receive necessary documents to upload into NIF. BIO has created the istart: Cal Edition app for international students.
- Submit the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR)
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): US Citizens and permanent residents are required to submit the application. It does not matter if the deadline has passed. This form is required for certain types of financial support.
- Haas Email Accounts: Each of you will receive a Haas account and affiliated email address ending in @haas.berkeley.edu. Your Haas account is needed to access any Haas computers. We will continue using your personal email address until June 1st. From that point on, we will only send it to your Haas email account.
- Obtain your Cal Student ID Card
- Technology Solutions onboarding checklist
- Important Dates
- Your SHIP health insurance will activate August 1. You must be enrolled in a minimum of .5 units before this date for your insurance to activate for the fall.
- Fall Registration: All incoming first-year students will need to enroll in courses before August 1. You can find your phase 1 enrollment period by logging into your CalCentral account and looking under academics. Please talk to your Field Advisor to confirm which classes you will register for this fall. Your academic requirements are listed under your program on our website. During phase 1, log in to CalCentral and follow the instructions.
- Schedule of Classes and Haas Course Information
- Field of Study & Curriculum
- UC Berkeley Academic Calendar
- Create a US Bank Account if you don’t already have one. Once you have an account, you can sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) so that your stipend can be paid electronically in August.
- Student Funding & Work Requirement
- Good Academic Standing Policy
- California Residency: If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, start getting your California residency in order right away. Open a bank account, use your charge card, get your CA driver’s license, update both your local and permanent address in CalCentral, and register to vote. (A voter registration table is usually set up by the Student Union or forms are available outside 309 Sproul Hall.) Please see the Residency Office Website for more information. All U.S. citizens and permanent residents are required to become legal residents of the State of California before the start of the second year.
- Tax e-mail and ITIN for International Students: If you are an international student, you will receive an e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org about your GLACIER form and proper tax withholding. Please add the e-mail to your contacts and check your spam folder. You will also receive a separate email from the PhD Program Office with information on applying for an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Money and Banking for International Students
- Desk Space and Building Access: At the PhD Program Office orientation, you will receive your desk assignment and information about PhD student level access clearances to Haas buildings.
- Berkeley Haas PhD Class Profile
Services and Resources for New Graduate Students
- Campus Resources for Graduate Students
- Campus Life at UC Berkeley
- Graduate Housing
- Berkeley International Office Housing Resources
- University Health Services: New Student Medical Checklist
- Cal Recreational Sports
- Getting to Campus
- Software Available for Download
- Campus Wi-Fi Options
- Student Parent Center
- Business Library
- UC Berkeley Library