Jeffrey A. Jacobs Distinguished Professor
Economic Analysis & Policy | Energy Institute | Sustainability
Leading expert on energy economics
Lucas Davis is the Jeffrey A. Jacobs Distinguished Professor at Berkeley Haas. His research focuses on energy and environmental markets, and, in particular, on electricity and natural gas regulation, pricing in competitive and non-competitive markets, and the economic and business impacts of environmental policy. He serves as co-editor of the American Economic Journal: Economic Policy and is a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. Prior to moving to UC Berkeley in 2009, he was an Assistant Professor of Economics at the University of Michigan.
Expertise and Research Interests
- Energy and Environmental Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- Public Finance
- Michael Anderson and Lucas Davis. An Empirical Test of Hypercongestion in Highway Bottlenecks. Journal of Public Economics.
- Lucas Davis, Sebastian Martinez, and Bibiana Taboada. How Effective is Energy-Efficient Housing? Evidence from a Field Trial in Mexico. Journal of Development Economics.
- Judson Boomhower and Lucas Davis. Do Energy Efficiency Investments Deliver at the Right Time?. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics.
- Lucas Davis and Chris Knittel. Are Fuel Economy Standards Regressive?. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- John Coglianese, Lucas Davis, Lutz Kilian, and James Stock. Anticipation, Tax Avoidance, and the Price Elasticity of Demand for Gasoline. Journal of Applied Econometrics.
- Lucas W. Davis and Gilbert E. Metcalf. Does Better Information Lead to Better Choices? Evidence from Energy-Efficiency Labels. Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists.
- Severin Borenstein and Lucas W. Davis. The Distributional Effects of U.S. Clean Energy Tax Credits. NBER Tax Policy and the Economy.
- Lucas Davis and Catherine Hausman. Market Impacts of a Nuclear Power Plant Closure. American Economic Journal: Applied Economics.
- Lucas W. Davis and Paul J. Gertler. Contribution of Air Conditioning Adoption to Future Energy Use under Global Warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- Janet Currie, Lucas Davis, Michael Greenstone, and Reed Walker. Environmental Health Risks and Housing Values: Evidence from 1,600 Toxic Plant Openings and Closings. American Economic Review.
At Haas since 2009
2016 – present, Jeffrey A. Jacobs Distinguished Professor, Haas School of Business
2009 – present, Faculty Affiliate, Energy Institute at Haas
2012 – 2016, Associate Professor, Haas School of Business
2009 – 2012, Assistant Professor, Haas School of Business
2008 – 2009, Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, MIT
2005 – 2009, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Michigan
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Co-Editor, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy
- Biden tosses $6B lifeline to save struggling nuclear plants, E&E News Energy Wire, 04/20/2022
- California average gas price surpasses $5, highest in US, The Daily Californian, 03/11/2022
- Russian invasion disrupts oil market, to possibly increase gas prices, The Daily Californian, 02/27/2022
- Shock waves, Politico, 02/25/2022
- Texas just dodged a repeat of 2021 outages, but its power sector has a long way to go, analysts say, Utility Dive, 02/25/2022
- Local PG&E Customers Are Seeing Rising Bills — But Why Now?, CBS News Sacramento, 02/09/2022
- Green incentives usually help the rich. Here’s how the Build Back Better Act could change that., Grist, 12/02/2021
- UC Berkeley researchers find ride-share apps reduce US traffic fatalities, The Daily Californian, 08/31/2021
- Demand for air conditioning is set to surge by 2050, The Economist, 08/10/2021
- Poor Americans Said Likely to Bear Brunt of Transition from Natural Gas to Renewables, Natural Gas Intelligence, 08/10/2021
- Low-Income Households To Bear The Brunt Of All-Electric Homes, Oilprice.com, 08/05/2021
- How Uber and Lyft Can Save Lives, The Wall Street Journal, 08/05/2021
- A Fee for Miles Driven Would Be Hard to Impose, Bloomberg, 06/22/2021
- Elon Musk is wrong, Bitcoin won’t help us save the planet, The Telegraph, 04/28/2021
- How Climate Change will affect businesses in the U.S., CGTN, 04/17/2021
- Appliance electrification a growing divide between renters and homeowners, Axios, 04/16/2021
- A Furious Industry Backlash Greets Moves by California Cities to Ban Natural Gas in New Construction, Inside Climate News, 03/05/2021
- If Heating Goes Electric, We’re Going to Need a Better Grid, Bloomberg, 03/03/2021
- The steady rise of electricity for home heating, Axios, 01/05/2021
- Tesla Joins S&P 500 as Electric Car Stocks Surge, Newsweek, 11/24/2020
- Energy and Environmental Markets, Full-time MBA Program
- Energy and Environmental Markets, Evening & Weekend MBA Program