The Berkeley Haas Visiting Scholar Program hosts national and international scholars interested in serious collaborative intellectual work with Haas faculty. Visiting scholars can apply for stays of one month to one year. Stays beyond one year require an extension application (see below).
Initial Appointments: 4 months before your desired start date.
Extensions: 2.5 months before appointment end-date (extensions require approval of our Associate Dean of Academic Affairs are only granted in exceptional cases).
Visiting scholars must secure a sponsor who is a tenured or a tenure-track member (professor, associate professor, or assistant professor) of the Berkeley Haas faculty. Information about Haas faculty can be found at the Haas faculty directory.
- Calnet Account & Cal ID
- Library borrowing privileges and research database access
- With instructor’s permission, auditing one course per semester.
- WiFi & VPN network for remote system access to our campus
- Remote printing to Haas Printers
- Visiting scholars are not granted office space, but must use public areas, such as the Thomas J. Long Library at the Haas School.
- Ability to receive discounted Cal Rec Club membership at the Recreational Sports Facility (RSF),Strawberry Canyon Recreation Area (SCRA), Golden Bear Recreation Center (GBRC), and Edwards Track.
- Ability to purchase a Fee Lot Permit for use in campus parking lots at the faculty/staff rate upon presentation of a Cal ID card. All visiting scholars are eligible to purchase campus shuttle services.
- Up to two season tickets for Cal football games at the faculty/staff rate
- Visiting scholars may use the Berkeley Haas School mailroom and copy machines.
Visiting scholars are required to provide their own support funds. Our visiting scholars are typically funded by their own universities or other employers, private grant-making institutions, or government programs – either at home or abroad.
- $910 annual sponsorship charge (this fee is not pro-rated for stays shorter than a year).
- University Services fee that includes campus-wide library privileges. The fees are determined by the category you are classified in by the VSPA office. The charges are payable once you have arrived on campus and attended appropriate orientations. Here are the fees: Visiting Scholar category (1st yr. $750; 2nd yr. $1500); Visiting Student Researcher category (1st yr. $1000; 2nd yr. $2500). Please note all appointments are for one year at a time and 2nd year extension require Dean’s approval (see above under application deadlines).
- All international scholars coming to the Berkeley campus require the J-1 visa and must pay a one-time, non-refundable processing fee of $650. This will enable you to receive a DS2019 form which we will ship to you using Federal Express. If you are being funded by a program that processes a J-1 visa for you, such as the Fulbright Program, you do not need to pay this fee.
- Most international applicants must pay the SEVIS fee and a Visa application fees when applying for the J1 Visa at a US Embassy abroad. You will find information about these fees here.
Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office
Information about Visiting Scholar application procedures and university policies can be found at the Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office web site. Please note Berkeley Haas has its own application procedure which must be complete before completing the VSPA application.
Berkeley International Office
Information regarding the J1 Visa as well as assistance in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming can be found at the Berkeley International Office web site.
UC Patent Acknowledgement
The UC Patent Acknowledgement is to be signed by all UC Berkeley employees, Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers, and any Affiliates or Volunteers, or anyone who is conducting research at UC Berkeley, regardless of their position.
Do you have questions or have you found a sponsor and are ready to apply? Please contact the Haas Visiting Scholar Administrative Officer by clicking here.