The Berkeley Haas Visiting Scholar Program hosts national and international scholars interested in serious collaborative intellectual work with Haas faculty. Visiting scholars can apply for stays of one month to one year. Stays beyond one year require an extension application (see below).
Initial Appointments: 3 months before your desired start date.
Extensions: 2.5 months before appointment end-date (extensions require approval of our Associate Dean of Academic Affairs are only granted in exceptional cases).
Visiting scholars must secure a sponsor who is a tenured or a tenure-track member (professor, associate professor, or assistant professor) of the Berkeley Haas faculty. Information about Haas faculty can be found at the Haas faculty directory.
- Visiting scholars are invited to attend Berkeley Haas presentations, lectures, conferences, seminars, and other events.
- Visiting scholars are assigned a Berkeley Haas email account and access to computers and other services at the Haas Media Services Center.
- Visiting Scholars are permitted to audit one class per semester.
- Membership in the Haas Alumni Network (HAN).
- Visiting scholars may use the Berkeley Haas School mailroom and copy machines.
- Visiting scholars have library privileges at the Thomas J. Long Library at Berkeley Haas and other campus libraries.
- Visiting scholars are not granted office space, but must use public areas, such as the Thomas J. Long Library at the Haas School.
Visiting scholars are required to provide their own support funds. Our visiting scholars are typically funded by their own universities or other employers, private grant-making institutions, or government programs – either at home or abroad.
- $910 annual sponsorship charge (this fee is not pro-rated for stays shorter than a year).
- University Services fee that includes campus-wide library privileges. The fees are determined by the category you are classified in by the VSPA office. The charges are payable once you have arrived on campus and attended appropriate orientations. Here are the fees: Visiting Scholar category (1st yr. $750; 2nd yr. $1500); Visiting Student Researcher category (1st yr. $1000; 2nd yr. $2500). Please note all appointments are for one year at a time and 2nd year extension require Dean’s approval (see above under application deadlines).
- All international scholars coming to the Berkeley campus require the J-1 visa and must pay a one-time, non-refundable processing fee of $600. This will enable you to receive a DS2019 form which we will ship to you using Federal Express. If you are being funded by a program that processes a J-1 visa for you, such as the Fulbright Program, you do not need to pay this fee.
- Most international applicants must pay the SEVIS fee and a Visa application fees when applying for the J1 Visa at a US Embassy abroad. You will find information about these fees here.
Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office
Information about Visiting Scholar application procedures and university policies can be found at the Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office web site. Please note Berkeley Haas has its own application procedure which must be complete before completing the VSPA application.
Berkeley International Office
Information to enhance the academic, cultural, and social experiences of international scholars, as well as assistance in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming can be found at the Berkeley International Office web site.