Boost@BerkeleyHaas students have the opportunity to take part in either an internship or site visits during their summers. An internship can be defined as a short-term position offering on the job training and networking in exchange for the work efforts of the intern. In many fields, internships are vital to gaining experience and exposure to fields otherwise inaccessible to those pursuing education alone. In other kinds of professions, an internship is an essential part of the requirements for gaining practical experiences leading to future jobs. Site visits are typically a one day offering to get a “taste” of what it would be like to work at a specific company or industry.
For our high school Boost@BerkeleyHaas participants, these summer opportunities can be pivotal to discovering whether a field of study or a career seems a good fit or not. Often the best way to gain real-world experience is to see what a certain field is like from the vantage point of being on the inside. Participating students will get a leg up on their peers, an introduction to a field they may know little about and tangible experience that can influence their college and career choices. This one activity can be key to impacting a host of future decisions.
Why Internships & Site Visits?
- To begin to explore what could turn into a future career path
- To gain exposure to possible fields without making a long-term commitment
- To get the practical experience required for entry into some fields
- To give Boost@BerkeleyHaas students a competitive edge in college and the job market
Special thanks to our summer site visit and internship providers:
- Anza Technology Network
- Child Family Health International
- East Bay College Fund
- Galileo Learning
- La Clinica Healthcare
- Lawrence Hall of Science
- Oakland SPCA
- Port of Oakland
- Psyched in SF Marriage & Family Therapy
- Rivera Partners
- Sacramento Better Business Bureau
- San Francisco Department of Public Health
- Start Some Good
- TS Wrobel Law Offices
For more information, please contact:
E: [email protected]