What are Independent Studies?
Independent studies (MBA293s) are designed to support students who would like to research an area of interest that is not currently covered in an existing UC Berkeley course. MBA293’s:
- Must be taken for a letter grade.
- Cannot be dropped once approved and enrolled.
Applying for an Independent Study would be ideal if:
- Your study plan is distinct from other courses offered at UC Berkeley.
- You have an academically-focused research question you’d like to explore.
- You have clear academic learning objectives related to your MBA education.
- You have received verbal confirmation from a faculty member to sponsor your study plan.
- You are comfortable working in a mostly self-directed capacity (or you want to build skills in this area).
Independent Study would not be appropriate if:
- You want to receive academic credit for a consulting project, unpaid or paid professional work, co-curricular or club project work.
- Your study plan duplicates or continues existing university coursework.
How many units can I receive for an MBA293?
- Students have the option to create 1, 2, or 3 unit Independent Studies:
- 1 unit = minimum 45 hours up to 89 hours
- 2 unit = minimum 90 hours up to 134 hours
- 3 unit = minimum 135+ hours
- You may apply for more than one Independent Study during the program, and apply up to 4 units towards your MBA degree requirements.
Can I work on an Independent Study as part of a team?
- Sure! A student may apply for MBA 293s as an individual or as part of a team.
- If applying as a group, each individual applying will still be required to submit their own application through the Google form specifying their role, objectives and varying responsibilities as related to the number of units being requested.
Faculty Sponsors must:
- Have an active teaching appointment during the term of registration.
- Be a Haas faculty and not be someone with whom you are concurrently taking a regular course (please consult with the academics team if you are in this situation).
- Be willing to set appointments with you to check in on milestone deliverables and progress.
- Provide written approval of the study plan prior to your application submission.
- Agree to review your final deliverable(s) and submit a grade for you by the end of term deadline.
When can I begin applying for Independent Study?
Anytime after you complete your first semester at Haas.
Who should I reach out to if I need guidance, want to apply or have questions/concerns?
Email an Academic Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.