Independent Studies are 1-3 unit courses designed to support students who would like to research an area of interest that is not currently covered in an existing UC Berkeley course. Independent Study courses:
- Must be taken for a letter grade.
- Cannot be dropped once approved and enrolled.
Applying for an Independent Study would be ideal if:
- Your study plan is distinct from other courses offered at UC Berkeley.
- You have an academically-focused research question you’d like to explore.
- You have clear academic learning objectives related to your MBA education.
- You have received verbal confirmation from a faculty member to sponsor your study plan.
- You are comfortable working in a mostly self-directed capacity (or you want to build skills in this area).
Independent Study would not be appropriate if:
- You want to receive academic credit for a consulting project, unpaid or paid professional work, co-curricular or club project work.
- Your study plan duplicates or continues existing university coursework.
Any student after their first semester can apply for an Independent Study. If you’re interested, please find information and templates/examples here (must log in with your berkeley.edu account).