Hiring a Student Assistant- NEW!
The Student Assistant series gives campus departments the option to hire UC Berkeley students for various types of jobs on an hourly basis.
Based on feedback from customers, the campus will no longer use ServiceNow cases for student assistant hiring. Effective 8/19/19 student assistant hiring will be done through Smartsheets, not Service Now cases.
How Does it Work?
The designated supervisor or coordinator will use the Student Hiring Form to provide all of the necessary information.
That information will be uploaded to a Smartsheet and Berkeley Regional Services (BRS) will be able to process the hire/rehire from the Smartsheet.
1. Once you have identified the student to be hired/rehired, contact Alex Austin to obtain a position number (only).
2. Once you have the position number complete the Student Hiring Form. Enter the number you obtained from Alex in the form (position number field). Required fields are marked with an asterisk on the form. The required fields are below, all other information is optional, funding information is NOT required.
- Student’s last name and first name
- Position #
- Student email address
- Supervisor’s last name and first name
- Appointment Start and End Dates
- Does the Student hold another concurrent job
- Hourly Compensation Rate
- Confirmation of whether the student MUST have work study
- Appointment percentage
- Job Description
- Background Check Needed
3. After you have submitted the form, email your Finance Analyst (Haas Finance Assignments) to notify them that you have completed a form to hire a student. Your financial analyst will link your position to the appropriate funding codes.
4. If you wish to extend an existing student assistant’s appointment AND HAVE NOT already submitted a Service Now case, please use the Student Hiring Form beginning 8/19/19.
5. If you have already submitted a case for a student hire in Service Now – DO NOT enter the student on the Student Hiring Form.
Hiring a GSI, GSR, or Reader
To hire a GSI, GSR, or Reader, contact Rosina Rocco in the Haas Academic Affairs unit.