Hiring a Student Assistant

All student new hires and rehires (rehire = break in service) are required to perform duties from within the United States. Your request to hire casual students should be submitted through the process listed below. If you are hiring a Work-Study student, please review the information listed on UC Berkeley’s Work-Study page prior to completing the action steps below.

Action Steps

1. Once you have identified the student to be hired/rehired, submit the Student Position Number Request form to request a position number. Your request is routed to Haas HR and someone will follow up within 48 hours.

2. After receiving the position number, complete the FY21-22 Student Hiring Form. Enter the number you obtained from Haas HR in the form (position number field). Required fields are marked with an asterisk on the form. The required fields are below (all other fields are optional, including funding info):

  • Student’s first and last name
  • Position Number
  • Student email address
  • Supervisor’s first and last name
  • Appointment Start and End Dates
  • Does the Student hold another concurrent job
  • Hourly Compensation Rate
  • Confirmation of whether the student MUST have work study
  • Appointment percentage
  • Job Description
  • Background Check Needed

3. After submitting the Student Hiring Form, email your Finance Analyst (Haas Finance Assignments) to notify them that you have completed a form to hire a student. Your financial analyst will link your position to the appropriate funding codes.

4. Do not start the student until you have received confirmation from BRS that the student has completed onboarding and is able to start. Students must be paid for work performed, so it is very important that they do not start until you have been given approval from BRS.

Extending a Student Worker’s Hire

If you wish to extend an existing student assistant’s appointment, please submit a ServiceNow Case.

Hiring a GSI, GSR, or Course Reader

To hire a GSI, GSR, or Course Reader, contact Rosina Rocco in the Haas Academic Affairs unit.