Effective and high quality communication and ongoing performance feedback are critical to your success as an employee and to the success of the University overall. UC Berkeley is committed to a performance management system that fosters and rewards excellent performance. At UC Berkeley the employee, the supervisor, and the University are critical members of a partnership that ensures performance planning, review, coaching, and development.
- Employees at all levels are responsible for actively communicating with their supervisors about their performance.
- Supervisors are responsible for developing performance expectations with the participation of employees.
- The University is responsible for providing an effective and fair performance management system.
Performance Management Process
Reviewing performance is an ongoing dialogue between employees and supervisors and consists of three phases:
- Planning: employees and managers set expected outcomes and objectives that are aligned with the department’s objectives and priorities; set development goals; and, discuss resources.
- Checking-In: throughout the year employees and managers review and refine objectives; managers provide feedback on areas of success as well as on those requiring improvement.
- Assessment: the performance assessment summarizes the employee’s contributions over the entire appraisal period. Employees and managers discuss outcomes, objectives, and development opportunities throughout the year until completion, modifying and/or adding new commitments as needed.
The UC Core Competency Model serves as a foundational tool for the assessment and development of staff at the University of California.
On the left, find information and a Job Aid about the campus performance management pilot program for non-represented staff in which Haas is participating. You’ll also find details about the UC Berkeley Competencies which are used to promote professional development as well as to help evaluate how well work is performed.
Haas HR offers ongoing performance management workshops for staff and their managers. Watch out for the relevant communication and be sure to register for one of the workshops.
Performance Management Forms
Online Form for Non-Represented Staff
Heads up Haas Supervisors: The online tool for documenting your check-in conversations with the performance management pilot program is now available. Click here to access the form.The first check-in period ends March 31. You’ll have between now and April 15 to document your conversation for this period.
Form for Represented Staff
Next: Total Rewards