Hiring Staff Union & Non-union Positions
This information is for you, if you have:
- A New or Replacement Recruitment
- A pre-selected candidate and need to hire them into a Contract or Limited 900-hour position
- Need to extend a Staff Appointment
- Need to Reclassify a role
To Initiate Position Recruitments see steps below:
- Before you begin the hiring process for new and replacement roles or extensions, please review the current job description (JD). If this is a new position, or the JD has not been updated within the last year or you need the current JD, please reach out to HaasHR@berkeley.edu. Please note that any JD that has not been updated within the last year should be reviewed carefully, as processes, technology, and duties more than likely have changed. In addition, the JD may not contain the new diversity requirements or professional growth requirements and may contain language that is not considered gender-neutral. These details should be carefully reviewed before moving forward to post or extend. Please note that new job descriptions are built in Job Builder. Please reach out to HaasHR@berkeley.edu before starting a new JD to see if an existing one is already set up for you and to receive step-by-step instructions on navigating through Job Builder.
- Once you have reviewed the JD and are ready to move forward, please submit the Haas FTE Justification form. The form will be automatically routed to your Haas Financial Analyst for verification, so please be sure to enter their name and email address correctly.
Please be sure to complete all fields of the form. Incomplete data can delay the process. Please be sure to provide a detailed explanation for the section “Please describe the rationale for this request” and “Please describe how functions/tasks/projects will be accomplished if this request is not approved.” If your request is approved by the Haas Personnel Committee, those fields will be used to submit your request to the Campus Finance Committee. Incomplete or minimal details could result in a delay.
Information you will want to gather in advance before submitting the form [you can view 1-4 via UC’s People Card portal. For the current salary of an existing employee, please check UCPath. For minimum/midpoint pay, you can check TCS]:
- Payroll Title [this is not the working title]:
- Job/Title Code [this is a #]:
- Position #:
- Appointment End Dates [if applicable]
- Salary/Hourly Pay [based on budget or Minimum / Midpoint pay:
Please note: The following are exempt and do not need to go to the Campus Finance Committee, but are still reviewed by Haas PC:
- Positions funded by Contracts & Grants > this means that you are working with the Campus SPO Office and a PI to manage the contract and funding. If this is not the case, the position is not covered by Contracts & Grants
- Positions covered by Research Funds and the chartstring is coded under Chartfield 2. Please check with your Haas Financial Analyst to confirm the chartstring, if you are unsure.
- New Contract positions for 1 year or less and Limited Appointment Positions [900-hrs]
- Career Replacements for vacant current positions
- Renewal of existing Contract positions
To start the Haas PC review process, please submit the Haas FTE Justification form right away.
The Haas PC meets every other week.
- If the request does not require Haas PC or Campus Finance Committee approval, the Supervisor and Department Manager will be contacted by HaasHR to begin the process.
- If the request does need to be reviewed by the Haas PC, you will be notified when your request is put on the agenda and when a decision about the position is made.
- If the Haas PC has questions, you may be requested to attend the Haas PC meeting to discuss the request.
- If approved by Haas PC, you can then continue working with HaasHR on the recruitment or extension process.
- Reclassification of Career Position: Please reach out to HaasHR to discuss the reclassification request. You will also need to complete the Haas Classification Review Request form.
- Reclassification of Contract Position: Please reach out to HaasHR to discuss, as the process with regard to a current Contract role is very different than a Career role.
Recruitment Wrap Up:
- Part 1: Reference Checks & Verbal Offer Stage
- Part 2: Completing the IDF & ADF Documents | TAM POSTING # | SN Case #
- ADF Instructions
- IDF Instructions
Job Description Forms:
- Non-represented PPS Staff:
- All job descriptions should be updated/created in Job Builder.
- Please reach out to HaasHR before starting or updating a template.
- Represented Union Staff: Forms:
- Job Builder: Home > Useful Links.
- Please reach out to HaasHR before starting a Job Builder template, as some JDs may require a word doc form.