Hiring Staff Union & Non-Union Positions
This information is for you, if you have:
- A New or Replacement Recruitment
- A pre-selected candidate and need to hire them into a Contract or Limited 900-hour position
- Need to extend a Staff Contract Appointment
- Need to Reclassify a role
To Initiate Position Recruitments See Steps Below:
- Before you begin the hiring process for new and replacement roles or extensions, please review the current job description (JD). If this position, has not been built in Job Builder (JDX), your Staff HR team is here to help with that. Please reach out to [email protected] .
- Once you have reviewed/updated the JD and are ready to move forward, please submit the Haas FTE Justification form. The form will be automatically routed to your Haas Financial Analyst for verification, so please be sure to enter their name and email address correctly. (You can find a blank FTE justification form in the Hiring Process Instructions for Managers file.)
Information you will need to complete the form:
- Payroll Title [this is not the working title]: find this via UC Path’s People Card portal
- Job/Title Code [this is a #]: find this via UC Path’s People Card portal
- Position #: find this via UC Path’s People Card portal
- Appointment End Dates [if applicable/for contract roles]
- Salary/Hourly Pay [based on budget or Minimum / Midpoint pay]: check the Job Code Lookup System]
Please be sure to complete all fields of the form including the sections “Please describe the rationale for this request” and “Please describe how functions/tasks/projects will be accomplished if this request is not approved.”
The Haas Personnel Committee (PC) meets every other week.
- You will be notified when your request is put on the agenda and when a decision about the position is made.
- If the Haas PC has questions, you may be requested to attend the Haas PC meeting to discuss the request.
- If approved by Haas PC, you can then continue working with Haas Staff HR on the recruitment or extension process.
- Reclassification of Career Position: Please reach out to [email protected] to discuss the reclassification request. You will also need to complete the Haas Classification Review Request form.
- Reclassification of Contract Position: Please reach out to [email protected] to discuss, as the process with regard to a current Contract role is very different than a Career role.
For reclassifications, we recommend the following process:
- Meet with Haas Staff HR to discuss your needs, edits to the Job Description, comparisons to other classifications.
- Submit reclassification review request form to Personnel Committee and present intent to committee members.
- If approved, work with Haas Staff HR and our classification partners at People and Culture.
- People and Culture approval is required to proceed with a new classification.
The steps above initiate the recruitment process. After a position or reclass is approved by the Personnel Committee, Haas HR will reach out to the hiring manager for the next steps in the process, working with you as you classify, post, select, and make an offer to candidates. The documents in our Hiring Process Instructions for Managers folder document the step-by-step guidance that Haas Staff HR will continue to provide as we work closely with our BRS and People and Culture colleagues to support our recruitment goals.